Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newer Flash Drives' Compatibility on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Last week I tried out this new PNY Flash Drive that specified it was compatible with Windows XP.  It didn't work.  It wouldn't get recognized.  I got a message that I probably needed to install a Driver for unknown "New Hardware."  I just went and returned it since I had never had any problems with PNY Flash Drives working on my Windows XP computer.  I figured maybe it was just defective.

Today I tried out a new SanDisk Cruzer Glide that specifies that it too is compatible with Windows XP.  This particular one also specifies that it is USB 2.0 / 3.0 compatible.  Just like the PNY Flash Drive from last week, this SanDisk Cruzer Glide Flash Drive also did not work, did not get recognized and I was informed that I needed to install a Driver for unknown New Hardware.

I currently have 3 SanDisk Cruzer Glide Flash Drives that I've been using for quite a while without any problems.  

So what's the deal with these 2 recent NEW Flash Drives not being recognized and not working with my Windows XP when they specify that they ARE Windows XP compatible?

I tried going through the process of letting Windows search for the necessary Driver.  However, I was informed that the Driver that was found had not passed the "Windows Logo" test or something along those lines and was NOT recommended that I install that Driver from who knows what source.

So where can I get the necessary Driver(s) to allow NEWER Flash Drives that claim to be Windows XP compatible to work on my Windows XP?  Or what do I need to do?  I do not have the Windows Install CD.  This is a 3rd hand computer.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Chimiti,

This does happen with some flash drives (memory sticks) and not with others as you have found.

As I'm sure you know, running Windows XP on your computer is now, basically, a very unsafe practice without taking extra ordinary precautions. unless the computer is totally isolated from other computers or data sources,

This isolation would include not using the computer to connect to the Internet, other computers or the use of flash drives (memory sticks) or other sources of data.

The risks involved (infections and the like) are real and substantial so for those reasons I would recommend that flash drives and the like are not used on your computer.

Regards

paws

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

Please excuse me for poking my nose in here, but I still use XP myself...... and a little while ago, I bought a SanDisk Cruzer U  memory stick which works fine on my computer. I cant remember if I got the same message about drivers that you did when I was installing mine, Chimiti. I do think though that now that Microsoft has absolved themselves of all responsibility for the XP operating system, they are likely to send out lots of similar messages because they want you to ditch XP altogether.

Somebody here will almost certainly be able to help you..... but If by any chance you don't manage to successfully solve your problem here, you might like to try asking a question of SanDisk via one of the support options at http://kb-eu.sandisk.com

Chris.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

@paws:  Oh, I'm very much aware of the strong recommendations to kick Windows XP to the curb.  But, I've been using this 3rd hand computer since March 2013 and it just never gets infected.  On various Tech Support Forums I see tons of way more state of the art computers than mine with Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 and mega multiple levels of Security Apps installed getting infected ... while my computer with Windows XP, avast Free, Windows XP Firewall and periodic / frequent On Demand scans with MBAM, SAS and Dr. WebCureIt has never gotten infected.  I operate under the idea that --- The weakest link in ANY computer's security is the Computer Operator.

Before this computer was given to me, it was a perpetually infected mess of a computer under the hands of my brother-in-law and his 2 daughters.  I used to clean it of tons of malware every month only for the situation to repeat itself.  Now since the computer became mine and I thoroughly cleaned it, it just never gets infected.  So, from the evidence that I've seen, it IS true that the Computer Operator and his / her browsing and computer habits ARE actually the weakest link in any computer's security ... more so than what OS and Security Apps might be installed.

Anyway ... Heyyy!  I finally got the problem fixed.  With a lot of trepidation, I created a System Restore Point and then proceeded to VERY nervously let Windows XP search for and install the necessary Drivers.  It found and installed, I believe 3 Drivers.  And BAMM!  My new SanDisk Cruzer Glide Flash Drive was immediately recognized and now works.  Well, I still have to install my PortableApps.com platform and all of my Portable Apps and save all my stuff on it, but so far it looks like the problem has been resolved.  :yeah:   :D

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Thanks for the link, Chris.  It's a good one to have bookmarked.  Yeah, it did cross my mind that with Windows XP no longer being supported by Microsoft, they COULD have had there in the code some line that caused Windows XP's ability to recognize new Flash Drives expire at some point after the official ceasing of support.  But, luckily I have now fixed the problem.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Chimiti

The weakest link in ANY computer's security is the Computer Operator.

I often agree with this statement 100%... :thumbsup:

it IS true that the Computer Operator and his / her browsing and computer habits ARE actually the weakest link in any computer's security ... more so than what OS and Security Apps might be installed.

It's a good point point, well made... :thumbsup:

Regards

paws

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

I am pleased to hear that you managed to fix your problem, Chimiti. These things can be so annoying!

Very true about the weakest link in a computer's security being the Computer Operator! My computer is ten year's old now and I have had a bit of fun with viruses etc. on it in the past (mainly when our son was still living here!) - but since XP was exiled by Microsoft, we have not had any problems whatsoever. I hope I am not tempting fate by saying that though!

My computer is ten years old and is still going strong (due - of course - to me looking after it so well! ;) ) I take exception to the fact that Microsoft are effectively saying that they themselves have made it unsafe for me to use it any more! I will really enjoy buying a new computer when the time comes.... but not until this one finally dies of old age! :)

Before I go, Paws, why did you mention flash drives as being particularly unsafe to use with XP? I am a bit unsure of what the reason for this might be.

Chris.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi Chris,

Before I go, Paws, why did you mention flash drives as being particularly unsafe to use with XP? I am a bit unsure of what the reason for this might be.

It's not that Flash drives (memory sticks) are being singled out as being particularly dangerous...... it's more a question of any sorts of external data sources including of course connection to the internet is basically unsafe now on Win XP without taking extra ordinary precautions.

Windows XP is no longer being supported routinely with security updates from Microsoft and has not been, since April 2014, consequently as time goes by is becoming increasingly vulnerable to infection and exploits. The bad folks (and there are plenty around) are quick to identify and use to their own advantage these vulnerabilities.

It is of course possible to carry on using Windows XP whilst it is not totally isolated from other data sources or the Internet  and to remain free of malicious code...  but often only for a while.....  It is generally not recommended. Some malicious code is very evident as soon as it is introduced and prompts an immediate response by the operator as often a slow down and unresponsiveness is observed, or unwanted and unwelcome pages suddenly appear.

However some forms of malicious code are crafted in such a way that they deliver their payloads whilst having little impact on overall responsiveness and so can go undetected for considerable lengths of time. The operator may remain unaware that the computer system has been compromised (infiltrated by malicious code or subject to clever exploitative behaviours) as performance may not appear to have been affected to any significant effect...

However the payload may still be operating, stealing passwords, sensitive data, using the computer as a server to issue huge amounts of spam and other unsolicited material, or passing on the virus, spyware, worm or malicious code to other folks.

It is "quite difficult" to keep anti virus,  firewalls and other protections updated whilst the machine is isolated from others and the internet.....

if you connect to the Internet to say update your anti virus you are immediately at risk on an XP machine of infection and exploit..... so generally folks go on the Internet with outdated anti virus products .... or leave their anti virus product not updated and so unable to protect fully against newer sorts of infections that can be introduced by other data sources..... memory sticks and the like.

It's almost a Catch 22 situation....

Skilled computer operators taking extra ordinary precautions can often run outdated operating systems with a fair degree of impunity, however for ordinary mortals it's not recommended. 

Regards
paws

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, Paws. To be honest, if it was left to me I would buy a new computer now. Unfortunately though, my husband is not likely to be that easily convinced to buy a new one while he sees this one is still working well. Computers are an expensive item for most people: we are pensioners and for the past 12 months have unexpectedly had to support our daughter who moved back in with us as a result of something very traumatic happening to her and is still not working. So money is a big consideration right now.

I love my computer and it means a lot to me, but not so much to my husband. I can very happily spend the whole day on it, whereas he is out and about playing golf etc. all the time! :) I don't think he will be convinced to buy a new one at the moment, although I have printed out a copy of what you wrote about the dangers of still using XP for him to read. If there is a problem on the computer, it is always me who has to sort it out..... so I should get a say in whether we should get a new one! :)

I am beginning to think it might be a good thing if this computer develops some kind of fatal problem very soon and just dies a natural death. I feel very mean saying that though, as it has been such a really great computer ..........

Meanwhile, I am trying to educate my husband to go to the extra effort to use Puppy Linux for all important internet stuff. It is a bit of an uphill struggle, but hopefully what you wrote earlier will help convince him how important it is.  

Apologies Chimiti.... I didn't intend to hijack your topic!
Enjoy the rest of your day, both of you.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 10 March 2016 - 12:13 PM.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

No need to worry, Chris.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as we behave and we're giving insight that might help ... and are learning in the process, I wouldn't consider it highjacking a topic.  All in all the problem was resolved, so everything's cool.