Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Authentic Windows Error and Won't run downloaded exe files [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, real life comes first.. 

When you install windows 10 you will be putting on a whole new fresh windows, you will be able to keep your personal data and files and some programmes.  Those that will not run are removed and a list placed on the desktop along with a list of alternatives that will work

You can download windows 10 here using another computer and it will put it onto a USB for you and make it bootable

Then boot from the USB and select upgrade and Bob's your uncle http://www.howtogeek...-10-on-your-pc/

Advertisements

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Company's gone and I'm back at it again.  I created a bootable USB flash drive using the tool on the Windows 10 upgrade site.  Ran it, (selected Windows 10 Home instead of Pro - any difference?)  Then got a "Compatibility report" The commuter stated using the Windows installation media.  Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally.  Then, Insert the installation media and restart the upgraded."  When I do this, my corrupted computer won't run the exe file to start the upgrade.  If I try to use the tool on the corrupt computer, I can't run the exe file.  Any thoughts?

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

apologies.   The message was "The computer started... (note stated).

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you try to run from safe mode

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Yep I tried Safe Mode and got the message, "You can't install Windows while running in Safe mode"  I tried running the media creator (I can run exe files in safe mode) to see if I could create the install files on the harddrive, but it wasn't connected to the internet

When I boot in Safe mode with networking, the screen is black except for "Safe Mode" in the four corners and Microsoft Windows Build 7601: Service Pack 1 at the top.  There is not way to execute anything, so I have to do a hard reboot (power button).

When I boot in Safe mode with command prompt, I don't know what command to enter to try to run the upgrade file.  I tried to enter the file name as the cmd: getwindows10-pse-ggl.exe from c:\ and c:\windows\system 32,  ... not recognized as an internal or external command...

I'm curious why they make a bootable USB, then say that you have to run it from your computer.  In any case, I've tried running it from the USB and got the message above, then tried in safe mode and got this message. 

I tried booting from the USB again to see what choices I have.  So far I've only tried the "Upgrade" option, not the "Custom" option.  Any thoughts on that?

I'm off to work and will give this another try this evening.  Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

The custom option enables you to do a fresh and clean install..  This may be the best option, but, you will need to backup any data you need first

I see that you have Windows all in one repair..  So I assume you have tried the association repair number 23 (23.06)

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I was able to run the Windows Repair in safe mode and ran the #23 Repair associations.  Then booted in normal mode.  I still can't launch it in normal mode.  Are there any other repairs I can try in safe mode that you would recommend? 

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I've been running various windows repair modules in safe mode.  I went through all of the pre-clean up steps, then started on the repair modules.  1-15 worked.  I didn't do 16, unhide files.  #17: Repair Windows Updates failed to start 4x.  I restarted and it ran.  Also ran # 21.  Then I re-ran #23 Repair File Associations.  There seemed to be error messages in the pop up progress windows (very fast). No errors appeared in the log.   But, I rebooted and ran it again.  I didn't see errors mentioned.  I then ran 24, 26, and 27.  I think I've done all the damage I can with this tool.  I rebooted in normal mode. 

I was able to start a few new programs.  Internet Explorer worked albeit opening very slowly.  I was also able to initiate the Windows 10 upgrade. Again, not very fast, but it's running and seems to be running the download now.  I will keep you posted, but wanted you to know there was some progress. 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK running the upgrade from within windows should work... The average time for an upgrade is between 45 and 60 minutes

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Done!  I'm now running Windows 10; so far, so good.  Your suggestion to use the Windows Repair Tool saved the day.  I got just enough functionality restored to Windows 7 to be able to run the upgrade.  Many, many thanks for your time and advice!!!

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Any further problems young sir ?

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Not other than finding my way around Win 10.  Not so bad so far.  So, unless you have some tools/advice on cleaning up leftover Win 7 logs/temps/spare parts, I think we're good to go and you can close this case.  Again, thanks for the breakthrough advice.  

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

P.S.  Just hit the PayPal button.  Name's Delp.  Thanks again!

Ted in FL

Ted in FL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

P.P.S.  Just hit 60, so I appreciate the "young sir"  All the best.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Near everyone now is younger than me :)

Thank you for the donation :thumbsup:

If you find windows boot being slow I do have a fix for that. Also any questions on 10 just ask as I have been running it for a year now