Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Won't Turn On (Resolved).

Best Answer cmac24 , 30 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.  I just got the new power supply the other day and installed it successfully tonight.  Consider the issue closed with my deepest thanks for your patience a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Not heard back from you cmac24, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Still here.  Just checked it out.  I unplugged everything and used the paperclip and did get a whirring noise.  The internal fan wasn't spinning.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
The internal fan wasn't spinning.

Can I ask that you confirm whether or not you are referring to the PSUs cooling fan.

Is it still the stock 250W PSU that shipped with the Dell when out of the box new.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
PSU fan is running sorry for the confusion

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

I am a little confused because you said the following;

I unplugged everything and used the paperclip and did get a whirring noise.

From where was the whirring noise coming from.

Is it still the stock 250W PSU that shipped with the Dell when out of the box new.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Not sure why but you seem to missing questions that are being asked;

From where was the whirring noise coming from.

Based on the information provided I suggest that you either get the present PSU professionally tested or borrow one to test on your system.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Sorry about that.  I missed part of your post.  The whirring noise was coming from the fan connected to the power supply.  When I said the internal fan wasn't spinning I meant another fan on the inside of the PC

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Thought that was what you meant but needed to check just in case  :thumbsup:

OEMs such as Dell and HP etc use less expensive PSUs to keep build costs down and if purchased separately would only have a 12 month warranty meaning that the present PSU should have been replaced before now in any event, just hope that if it has spiked or something that it has not damaged anything else.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

OK.  Thanks for all of your help.  I appreciate it.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

You are welcome  :)

Please let us know any outcome or if you have any other questions along the way  :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Not heard back from you cmac24, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Sorry about the delayed response, I haven't gotten a new power supply yet and probably won't for another week.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

No worries, we get so many abandoned threads that I make a point of asking members to update their threads rather than just adding them to the "ignore user list"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts