Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I force onboard GPU use for old game?

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 April 2016 - 07:34 AM

Hello RS12, There may be an option in your MBs BIOS to disable the add on video card and enable the MBs integrated video chip, keep in mind though that unless you have two video ports availabl... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RS12

RS12

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey!

As title says. I have a old game (Warlords 3 DLR), which runs well enough under windows 7 64 bit, but the menus and gaming screen becomes a bit jumbled because of my GPU, overlapping screens etc.  Which I believe is because of the hardware acceleration and probably some other things I am not savvy enough to know about :) Before I got new GPU, my old GTX 660Ti could run it fine without overlapping screens.

So, could I somehow force the game to use my onboard graphic which isn't as powerful, instead of the GTX card? Alternatively, since I haven't been able to locate hardware acceleration options for GTX 970 (don't believe it has any) is there settings in the Nvidia panel I could tinker with? I've tried the 3D options, but since it is a old game, it doesn't seems to do much.

Would monitor refresh rate play any part in this? (Don't believe so, but have to ask)

Mainly asking because I am reluctant to install a Virtual program for a single game, and I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, so the Virtual XP thingy for other versions of windows 7 is not an option either.

Best Regards and thanks in advance :)

Spec's;

Asus GTX 970 4GB STRIX, Gigabyte Z77-DS3H w/ Intel Core i5-3570, 8GB DDR3 HyperX Genesis KIngston RAM

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello RS12,

There may be an option in your MBs BIOS to disable the add on video card and enable the MBs integrated video chip, keep in mind though that unless you have two video ports available on your display/screen you would also need to swap over the video cable from the PCI-E card to the MBs video port.

Some info I found in a thread here to save me from waffling.

Would monitor refresh rate play any part in this? (Don't believe so, but have to ask)

Not likely as the refresh rate is affected by your hardware not being up to snuff rather than being better than what is required/compatible with your screen, no such problem here as the recommended specs for the game are below what you have;

Operating System:
Windows 95/98 with
DirectX 5.0a or Higher 

Processor:
Pentium 75MHz
processor or higher

Memory:
16MB RAM

Hard Drive:
Minimum 80MB

RS12

RS12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hello RS12,

There may be an option in your MBs BIOS to disable the add on video card and enable the MBs integrated video chip, keep in mind though that unless you have two video ports available on your display/screen you would also need to swap over the video cable from the PCI-E card to the MBs video port.

Some info I found in a thread here to save me from waffling.

Not likely as the refresh rate is affected by your hardware not being up to snuff rather than being better than what is required/compatible with your screen, no such problem here as the recommended specs for the game are below what you have;

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400, AMD FX-4100, or better
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 4 GB
OS: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 64-bit with latest service pack
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 35 GB

Hmmm, sounds like a lot more trouble than worth :upset: Was hoping for a simple tag to the program to make it use onboard instead of the GTX card. Think I'll have to look for a virtual program instead then *sigh* :) It is possible through the Intel panel to use onboard for a second monitor, so was hoping something similar would be possible without tinkering with cables and disabling the add on card.

Anyways, thanks for replying :)

P.S.

Btw. Think you have the wrong spec's for the game :prop: Warlords 3 Darklords Rising is from 1998 and could probably run on a advanced toaster! :spoton:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Was hoping for a simple tag to the program to make it use onboard instead of the GTX card. 

Not having a physical connection between your MBs video port and your screen is the problem, if your screen has multiple video ports you can hook up both the IGP and the add on card and disable the add on video card on boot when you want to play the game, no need for a KVM that way.

Btw. Think you have the wrong spec's for the game  :prop: 

Yep, sorry about that  :blush: now corrected.

You are welcome btw  :)