Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with a very old laptop having problems with sp3

• Please log in to reply

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

I have ordered CD so should arrive tomorrow, so i will do the slipstream over the week end.

I have already installed avast and it seems to be running fine, and uninstalled panda before installing avast. Removed all things panda as per ur link

Should I delete any or both of the broadcom or dell or just leave?

Below I pasted what i saw in autorun as either not found or highlighted in Pink

A side question. Not sure if Im jumping the gun or interfering where I should not, so I ask first. In auslogics bootspeed, i ran a scan and in the report there are a whole number of files that either dont exits or invalid file, should I go ahead and delete, the list is lage and no way to copy/paste but I attached a pic to show those under severe

What should I do next.

Thanks

"HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components
+ "0""""""File not found: About:Home"""""

"HKLM\Software\Classes\Drive\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"
X "IVBShlExt""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Photo!\Photo! Editor\IvBar\ivbshlext.dll"

"HKLM\Software\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"
X "IVBShlExt""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Photo!\Photo! Editor\IvBar\ivbshlext.dll"

"HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\Shellex\CopyHookHandlers"
X "iMazingCopyHookHandler""""""File not found: :/Program Files/DigiDNA/iMazing/ShellExtiMazingCopyHandler.DLL"

"Task Scheduler"
X "Auslogics BoostSpeed Scan and Repair.job""""""File not found: TaskSchedulerHelper.dll"""""

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services"

X "HuaweiHiSuiteService.exe""Service for runing HiSuite applications autorun.""""File not found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HandSetService\HuaweiHiSuiteService.exe"""""

"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services"
+ "Changer""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Changer.sys"""""
+ "i2omgmt""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.sys"""""
+ "lbrtfdc""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.sys"""""
+ "PCIDump""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.sys"""""
+ "PDCOMP""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDCOMP.sys"""""
+ "PDFRAME""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDFRAME.sys"""""
+ "PDRELI""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRELI.sys"""""
+ "PDRFRAME""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PDRFRAME.sys"""""
+ "StarOpen""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\StarOpen.sys"""""
+ "UIUSys""""""File not found: system32\drivers\UIUSys.sys"""""
+ "WDICA""""""File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\WDICA.sys"""""

"HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance"
X "AC3Filter""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ac3filter.ax"""""
+ "ffdshow Audio Decoder""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ffdshow.ax"""""
+ "ffdshow Audio Processor""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ffdshow.ax"""""
+ "ffdshow raw video filter""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ffdshow.ax"""""
+ "ffdshow subtitles filter""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ffdshow.ax"""""
+ "ffdshow Video Decoder""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ffdshow.ax"""""

X "MPEG4 Video Splitter""""""File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\MP4Splitter.ax"""""

These were high lighted in pink Not sure wht that means:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services5/11/2016 9:25 PM
giveioc:\windows\system32\giveio.sys4/4/1996 10:33 AM

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers324/3/2016 6:04 PM
vidc.iv31c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll8/18/2001 1:33 PM
vidc.iv32c:\windows\system32\ir32_32.dll8/18/2001 1:33 PM
vidc.xvidc:\windows\system32\xvidvfw.dll7/4/2004 2:08 AM

HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{083863F1-70DE-11d0-BD40-00A0C911CE86}\Instance
XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoderc:\windows\system32\xvid.ax9/6/2004 9:06 PM

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Should I delete any or both of the broadcom or dell or just leave?

Broadcom is an ethernet device and the Dell a wireless driver, neither are causing a problem and can be left alone.

Below I pasted what i saw in autorun as either not found or highlighted in Pink

They do all look like they should be safe to remove but I would suggest that you do a re run but this time hide all Microsoft and Windows entries, as mentioned earlier some entries may be dormant in AutoRuns but active at some later point, using the hide all Microsoft and Windows entries option makes it less likely that something will be uninstalled and then lead to problems, no drivers should be uninstalled unless you are 100% certain that they are not needed.

In auslogics bootspeed, i ran a scan and in the report there are a whole number of files that either dont exits or invalid file, should I go ahead and delete,

You may recall the following from my reply #7;

please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

The defrag program is very good but anything that suggests using it will "boost speed" should be treated with scepticism.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Taken note of everything you said. Just to clarify the next step is me to slipstream the Xp cd? If that's the case I'll work on that over the weekend, as it may take a while.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Something for you to do before you slipstream SP3, this to make sure that the present install is in good order;

Manually check for and install any XP security updates.

Run the Windows AIO repair tool, see my canned text for this below;

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi phillpower2

A quick curtesy update, still busy with the whole process, having problems burning the cd,s ( made the mistake of only getting two), I need a few more days before I can get back to you with all the updates, as I have a biz trip.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

No worries, take as long as you need, we will be here and thank you for taking time out to update us  :thumbsup:

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Unfortunately my trip has been extended, however on the free time I'm still trying to juggle the updates and getting the cd.
I have one question, in the tutorial, it makes mention of getting few things prepared, one of which is SATA drivers, now I'm not 100%sure what that is, from brief reading I assume it's the Intel motherboard driver, now I found this site that shows how to find the SATA http://www.proposeds...r-sata-drivers/, however when I follow their instruction I don't see anything about SATA on my pic, I've gone to the dell page for my Inspiron 700m, again I don't see anything related to SATA ( dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/Inspiron-700m/drivers) nor at (www.driverscape.com/manufactures/dell/laptops-desktop Site/Inspiron-700m/3042). I'm not sure what I should be saving for this.

I really am sorry about the time this is taking, unfortunately my time is someone else's for now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Not a problem on our behalf, we appreciate you keeping us informed when you are able to  :thumbsup:

All drivers for the computer should be obtained from Dell here and yours are IDE and not SATA, please note that Dell have a set procedure for installing drivers, in case you were not already aware that is, see here

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thank you very much for clarifying that,ni was trying to figure it out myself, no wonder I couldn't find SATA.
BTW I have completed the topic 19, Windows Iam repair, so far so good, took a while. As soon as I have a few solid hours to spare in the coming days I'll start the slipstream again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

You are most welcome and no worries reply when you are able to  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi phillpower2

Slowly but surely I'm getting there, I think I have the updates done. I have successfully slipstreamed the sp3 into sp2, following ur link on beeping computers, however I'm still completly uncertain about the issues of the dell drivers.

Firstly I'm really not sure what I should be downloading, as they have three categories, recommended, optional and urgent for example there are two for chipset but both are optional, they have drivers for sonic media recommended but I dnt use sonic media, Intel wireless they have a number of different ones all optional, should I download All, how do I determine which ones to download.

Secondly, in nlite based on the instruction of the post, they show how to slipstream SATA drivers ( now in ur previous post u did mention that mine are not SATA but ide -which I'm not sure where to find) so i did try downloading a few driver and trying to incorporate following the same procedure as SATA in the guide but that did not work.

Basically I'm unsure which drivers to install and then how to incorporate into my slipstream since they are not SATA.

Please advise, and thank you for ur patience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Please do not attempt to slipstream any drivers into your newly created SP3 disk, in your case there is no need because XP has native drivers for IDE devices whereas it does not for the newer SATA devices, I should have mentioned this earlier so apologies for not doing so.

Use the Dell scanner tool here to get the list of drivers that you need, create a new folder on your desktop called Dell drivers, save all of the drivers to it, back them up to a USB thumb drive and finally print off the installation order as explained here

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Thanks for the previous post, explains why i could create the disk..

I have to admit, the issue with the drivers is doing my head in, im totally confused. The installation page order and the actual dell inspiron 700m page(selecting installation order) differs and due to my total lack of technical competency im really not able to determine which drivers i need to install. I have tried numerous times to follow the installation diagnostics tool of dell, but that wont install unless i have .net framework 3.5 SP1. I tried installing that, three times, from microsoft and filehippo to no avail.

Here my problem, and Ive added a list i created:

• Chipset and utilities they offer be 4 options and all are optional.
  •  Under network there are 9 options and mass storage there are 21 options, which do I select and install.
  • Then under dell 700m page there are other categories not under installation order so not sure if they important or not.
  •  I assume that the ide/eide is the most critical one as it does say urgent.

I have tried to first figure this out myself my reading but I must confess that the terminology is a little over my head. Please advise and I apologize for laboring the topic, Id hate to come so far and then crew this up or damage this ol gal any further.

Thank you.

PS It wont allow me to attach a word document so Im including in this post. It was suppose to be in a neat table format.

Install in this order www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN128938#OrderofDriverInstallation

System utilities
Dell System software

Dell Notebook System Software, v.4.5.0, A21

R120807.EXE
Optional

Microsoft SpeedStep Fix for WinXP, A02

R63306.EXE
Optional

chipset
Texas Instruments PCI7420 Flash Memory/SD Reader, v.1.0.2.5, A02
R139212.EXE
Optional

Intel Mobile Chipset Driver 
R114079.EXE
Optional

Security
???????????

Serial ATA
No need as you need ide

audio
SIGMATEL STAC 9750 AC97, v.5.10.0.3952, A15
R90698.EXE
Optional
Video
Sonic Solutions CinePlayer 3.x, v.301B11C, A03_Q 
R143248.EXE
urgent

Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM, v.6.14.10.4363, A12
R105909.EXE
Optional

CyberLink PowerDVD 5, v.PDVD 5.1.0708 Patch, A03
R80551.EXE
Optional
Network
Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG Network Connection Driver
R155386.EXE

Dell Wireless 1350/1450/1370/1470 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card, Wireless (US) WLAN Card, Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard, Wireless 1390 WLAN ExpressCard, Wireless 1390/1500/1505 WLAN mini Card Driver
R151519.exe
recommend

Intel 庐 PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection Patch/Upgrade
R111827.EXE
Optional

Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter, v.7.1.4, A18
R105331.EXE
Optional

Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter, v.1.2.4.35, 7.1.4.4, A21
R105328.EXE
Optional

Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, ® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection, ® PRO/Wireless Network Connection, v.9.0, A02
R85950.EXE
Optional

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, v.4.25, A08
R85255.EXE
Optional

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, v.7.1.2, A02
44ta712a.cab
urgent

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, v.7.0.13, A06
R76564.EXE
Optional
Application
Dell Crash Analysis Tool, v.1.0.0.6 (EMT), A05
R120895.EXE
recommend

Sonic Solutions Record Now 7.0 (Dual Layer) Application
R114582.zip
recommend

Sonic Solutions DigitalMedia v7, Plus v2.0.0.1
R107621a.zip
recommend

Sonic Solutions Sonic DMX 3.0, v.DMX 3.0.1 Patch 307B032n, A10
R101199.EXE
Optional

Dell Driver Reset Tool, v. 1.02L (DiRT - External Zip) , A01
R92578.exe
recommend

Sonic Solutions Digital Media Application
R100552.EXE
Optional
Mouse/KB/input 
Dell Premium Optical Mouse Application
R131084.EXE
recommend

Synaptics Touchpad, v.8.2.4.6, A17
R120179.EXE
Optional

IDE/EIDE
Western Digital Scorpio 40GB/60GB/80GB 5400rpm Mobile HDD Firmware Update
R107305.EXE
urgent

Removable storage
There are 21 drivers

Other category
Texas Instruments PCI7420 Flash Memory/SD Reader, v.1.0.2.5, A02
Flash Memory Card driver for TI PCI7420 controller
R139212.EXE
Optional

M-Systems LF T5 128/256/512MB Memory Key Utility
Dell Boot Utility - DRMK 12417.zip
recommend

Dell Smart LF G2 128/256/512MB Memory Key Utility
R103372.EXE
recommend

Dell Smart LF G3 128/256/512MB Memory Key Utility
R122672.EXE
Optional

Edited by evolutionpill, 02 June 2016 - 09:11 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Please do not let updating drivers stress you out, you may not actually need to update any of them but fwiw urgent and recommended software updates may need to be considered but optional less likely, to hopefully put your mind at ease, see my canned text regarding updating drivers + the additional info below that which will tell us what drivers you presently have installed, if the computer is running ok then the drivers on that list are the only ones you need to back up;

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue. 

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

Run DriverView (no install required) save the results as a Text file and copy/paste the list into your next reply for us.

Regarding Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, try saving it to a folder on your desktop, restarting in Safe Mode only (no networking) and then see if it will install.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Thank you, another great tool you recommended. I have added the txt file below, i removed all microsoft ( as I assume they will be installed in the slipstream) also did not add the address, end address, size, etc so shorten the txt paste.

I went through the list and high lighted the ones i recognize in Green, there are a few that i should recognise but Im not sure which one from the dell list i should install as they have multiple options (marked in Red) but most of the driver i dont recognize/identify on the dell website and there seems to be alot.

==================================================
Driver Name       : giveio.sys
File Type         : Unknown
Description       :
Version           :
Company           :
Product Name      :
Created Date      : 4/4/1996 3:33:26 AM
Service Display Name: giveio

Driver Name       : dump_atapi.sys
Description       :
Version           :
Company           :
Product Name      :
Created Date      : N/A
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : dump_WMILIB.SYS
Description       :
Version           :
Company           :
Product Name      :
Created Date      : N/A
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : bcm4sbxp.sys
File Type         : Network Driver
Description       : Broadcom Corporation NDIS 5.1 ethernet driver
Version           : 4.25.0.0 built by: WinDDK
Company           : Broadcom Corporation
Product Name      : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Created Date      : 5/26/2004 3:18:18 PM
Service Display Name: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller XP Driver

Driver Name       : OMCI.SYS
File Type         : Installable Driver
Description       : OMCI Device Driver
Version           : 6, 1, 0, 242
Company           : Dell Computer Corporation
Product Name      : OMCI Driver

Created Date      : 10/1/2014 8:26:06 PM
Service Display Name: OMCI
I dont see this one OMCI on the dell webpage although i see it was created this year.
Driver Name       : GEARAspiWDM.sys
File Type         : Dynamic Link Library
Description       : CD DVD Filter
Version           : 2.02.03.00
Company           : GEAR Software Inc.
Product Name      : CD DVD Filter
Created Date      : 3/26/2016 11:51:35 AM
Service Display Name: GEAR ASPI Filter Driver

Driver Name       : ialmnt5.sys
File Type         : Display Driver
Description       : Intel Graphics Miniport Driver

Version           : 6.14.10.4363
Company           : Intel Corporation
Product Name      : Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers for Windows NT®
Created Date      : 10/1/2014 8:34:37 PM
Service Display Name:
I assume it would be this one on the page

Intel Extreme Graphics 855 GM, v.6.14.10.4363, A12

Driver Name       : iwca.sys
Description       : Intel Wireless Connection Agent
Version           : 9.00.0.17 built by: WinDDK
Product Name      : Intel Wireless Connection Agent
Created Date      : 8/12/2004 8:44:04 AM
Service Display Name: Intel Wireless Connection Agent Miniport for Win XP

Driver Name       : ialmdnt5.dll
Description       : Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver
Created Date      : 10/1/2014 8:34:35 PM
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : ialmrnt5.dll
Description       : Controller Hub for Intel Graphics Driver
Created Date      : 10/1/2014 8:34:38 PM
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : ialmdev5.DLL
Description       : Component GHAL Driver
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : ialmdd5.DLL
File Type         : Dynamic Link Library
Description       : DirectDraw® Driver for Intel® Graphics Technology
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : s24trans.sys
File Type         : System Driver
Description       : Intel WLAN Packet Driver
Version           : 9, 0, 0, 3

Product Name      : Intel Wireless LAN Packet Driver
Created Date      : 8/31/2004 8:53:04 AM
Service Display Name: WLAN Transport

Dell Wireless 1350/1450/1370/1470 WLAN MiniPCI Card, Wireless 1350 WLAN PC Card, Wireless (US) WLAN Card, Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard, Wireless 1390 WLAN ExpressCard, Wireless 1390/1500/1505 WLAN mini Card Driver

Intel 庐 PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection Patch/Upgrade

Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter, v.7.1.4, A18

Intel ® Pro/Wireless 2100 LAN miniPCI Adapter, v.1.2.4.35, 7.1.4.4, A21

I

Driver Name       : w29n51.sys
Description       : Intel? Wireless LAN Driver
Version           : 9000-61 Driver
Company           : Intel? Corporation
Product Name      : Intel? Wireless LAN Adapter
Created Date      : 10/21/2004 3:56:04 PM
Service Display Name: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection Driver for Windows XP

Got this one  intel ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG Network Connection Driver and

Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, ® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection, ® PRO/Wireless Network Connection, v.9.0, A02

Driver Name       : AegisP.sys
Description       : IEEE 802.1X Protocol Driver
Version           : 3.1.0.1
Company           : Meetinghouse Data Communications
Product Name      : AEGIS Client 3.1.0.1
Created Date      : 5/11/2016 9:24:33 PM
Service Display Name: AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v3.1.0.1

Driver Name       : dmio.sys
Description       : NT Disk Manager I/O Driver
Version           : 2600.5512.503.0
Company           : Microsoft Corp., Veritas Software
Product Name      : VERITAS? NT Disk Manager
Created Date      : 3/28/2016 11:57:49 AM
Service Display Name: Logical Disk Manager Driver

Driver Name       : dmload.sys
Description       : NT Disk Manager Startup Driver
Version           : 2600.0.503.0
Company           : Microsoft Corp., Veritas Software.
Product Name      : Logical Disk Manager for Windows NT
Created Date      : 8/4/2004 8:00:00 PM
Service Display Name:

Driver Name       : ptilink.sys
Description       : Parallel Technologies DirectParallel IO Library
Version           : 1.10 (XPClient.010817-1148)
Company           : Parallel Technologies, Inc.
Product Name      : Microsoft? Windows? Operating System
Created Date      : 8/4/2004 8:00:00 PM
Service Display Name: Direct Parallel Link Driver

Driver Name       : stac97.sys
File Type         : Sound Driver
Description       : SigmaTel Audio Driver (WDM)
Version           : 5.10.3952
Company           : SigmaTel, Inc.

Product Name      : AC'97 Audio Controller with SigmaTel CODEC device driver.
Created Date      : 10/1/2014 8:27:48 PM
Service Display Name: Audio Driver (WDM) - SigmaTel CODEC

Got this one SIGMATEL STAC 9750 AC97, v.5.10.0.3952, A15

Driver Name       : drvmcdb.sys
Description       : Device Driver
Version           : 3.22.13a
Company           : Sonic Solutions
Product Name      :
Created Date      : 4/5/2016 5:12:11 PM