Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia GeForce 6600 driver install problem

• Please log in to reply

K_2

K_2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am installing a HFX/Nvidia GeForce 6600 w/256MB. After I install the driver the screen becomes unreadable. If I uninstall and go with Windows default VGA driver everything looks fine. I am using a Nec MultiSync 95 monitor, do I have to replace it? I have tried using the drivers that came with the card and the latest driver from Nvidia, same problem.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Try cleaning the previous driver installation and starting fresh. First, go to http://www.drivercleaner.net/ and get Driver Cleaner (it is free). You said you already have the current driver, great. Now go to add/remove programs and remove the current Nvidia driver. Then boot into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then re-boot and install the current driver.

Ketamine

Ketamine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
I bought INNO3D Geforce 6600 AGP yesterday and have the same problem same as K_2. And i have tried to install the hardware with the driver disc it provide. After install and reboot, when entering the windows, it turn to black screen, usually at the moment i started to move my mouse. So i uninstall the driver and tried the newest driver version provide in the website of Nvidia. The situation is much worse, the monitor even cannot detect anything! ( previous driver detect things, but black screen only)

So, i have tried the method adviced by austin_o, but the situation is still the same. So, is that the problem of age of my motherboard? or..monitor's frequency?

i am using AMD athlon XP 1800+ with motherboard ASUS A7N266

thank you

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The answer to both of your problems is quite simple. Before you bought these cards, I am assuming you had built-in video? If so, you now need to connect your monitor to your new video card, NOT the same place as before. Then you are just connecting it to the built-in video. Since you told the computer to turn the built-in video off and the new video card on (by installing the drivers), the screen goes blank because you are not connected to the video card! Unhook the monitor and connect it to the new video card. The place for it should look indentical, so it will be easy to find.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You may also have to deactivate the onboard as well in bios to get it working properly.

Talhamid

Talhamid

• Pip
  • 9 posts
How do u disable onboard video in BIOS?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
during boot up, press the delete key. This will get you into the bios. Then look for the video setup. Usually enabled is checked, to disable remove the check.

Ketamine

Ketamine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
well.....first thank you for all your helps
but the problem have been solved after replacing a new CPU and motherboard

the next day after my ask for help, i went to the store where i bought the card
the staffs there told me they receive the same problem from other customers
and he said that he's guessing my motherboard doesnt support 6600 coz of some reasons
i forget what are they..

and finally i bought a new CPU and motherboard
and the display works so good till now

it's okay, because i wished to buy a new PC b4 buying my new display card :tazz:

and, again, thx for your helps ;) ;)

Edited by Ketamine, 12 July 2005 - 05:16 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Never buy computer components from a shop cause they are a bunch of dirty crooks, its not there fault they just cant make enough money. The internet is the cheapest way to get parts. There isnt a reason why that card shouldnt hve worked. Although a new mobo and cpu never goes amiss the only bad side is now you are stuck with a new pc with an AGP slot instead of pci-e.

Cry

Cry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the same problem!

Just picked up a Geforce FX 5900XT. Unstalled all my ATI drivers. Shut machine down. Plug in 5900XT, got screen display and windows boots. Installed latest geforce driver from nvidia. Reboot machine and still get the Windows XP loading screen but that's it. Screen either goes blank when windows loads or you get little pieces of the screen come up.

I have tried the following - Reinstallation of DirectX9c.
Reinstallation of Geforce driver.
complete uninstall of all nvidia drivers (nforce2 motherboard) and used driver cleaner 3.

Tried leaving all the nforce drivers off the machine and just installing the geforce ones. No joy at all. It's doing my head in. I know the video card was working as I saw it come out of a working machine.

FYI:
Motherboard Gigabye GA-7N400 Pro2
CPU Athlon XP 2400+
have tried different RAM but currently generic 512MB PC3200
Not sure about the PSU [just checked and it's 400w] - but this machine used to be running an Athlon 64 3000+ and Radeon 9800XT

Please help as it's beginning to do my nut!

Pete

Edited by Cry, 08 August 2005 - 09:00 AM.

Advertisements

Cry

Cry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I have since reinstalled Windows XP (sp1) installed my NIC drivers, DirectX9c, and forceware 77.72. Still got the same problem blank screen on windows boot.

Any one got any idea?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
try driver cleaner with a reinstall.

Cry

Cry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried driver cleaner and reinstallation of driver, no joy. Also changed PSU just in case. same problem. blank screen on boot. bloke I got the card off has suggested trying guru3d and a WHQL driver from there for the card?!? here goes nothing.

Cry

Cry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
OMG!

This is what I have done. Took card out of PC. Uninstalled 9800 XT drivers from my main PC. boot into safe mode. drive cleaner 3 run to remove ati drivers. shut down pc. installed fx5900 xt card. booted machine, installed 77.72. reboot working fine. removed card plugged into machine it is might for. Windows installed NV35 driver?!?!. Rebooted working fine. Installed 77.76 from tweakrus.com and working!!??! SHOCKING!

Sorry if this doesn't help anyone but thought I should let you know that the problem is solved!

Pete

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Wait....uh....who started this post again? :tazz: