Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Better performance upgrade

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

So what's the difference between the 1080 and 1070 graphics cards besides the 1070 being $250 cheaper?

The only thing I am seeing is clock speeds and the 1080 has GDDR5X and the 1070 has GDDR5.

Edited by heartgrave, 13 June 2016 - 12:58 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thus far, these appear to be the most up to date reviews.

http://www.pcadvisor...elease-3640925/

http://www.pcworld.c...les-titans.html

>http://www.pcworld.c...er-created.html

We will have to wait until manufacturers like Asus release their cards before we can see full benchmarks for the cards.  

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thank you. I am thinking the 1070 will be the way to go.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
OK so I went with the motherboard, CPU, ram, and that ridiculous fan(because of install). After bios, the keyboard and mouse stop working. They are both lit up but neither respond! I ran dban thinking it might help because everything I had on my PC are able to be downloaded again. Mouse and keyboard only work in bios.

Edited by heartgrave, 19 June 2016 - 05:56 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
OK I fixed it! I went into bios and messed with the USB configuration. One of them were set to legacy USB. I changed that to auto and I played with the other USB settings and they work now. I think the auto fixed it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

On some MBs, USB 3.0/3.1 are not supported natively by the UEFI/BIOS, only USB 2.0/2.1 active, (use for OS install), when the OS is inbstalled, they then work.

and that ridiculous fan(because of install)

Was that the Evo?

Are you using any discrete GPU yet?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Yeah, the one suggested.

1, its frickin huge!

2, the brace, that goes over the heat pipes that goes onto the CPU to keep the fan and heat sink in place, moves freely. There is a locking mechanism that prevents it from readjusting (can adjust based on socket (1155, 1151 etc) on you but its like a hair trigger, very easy to knock it out of adjustment when trying to install it.

3, the instructions are only pictures.

4, the spot where the brace goes that holds the heat sink and fan in place is really small so big hands like mine can't really get in there.

5, side panel fan had to be removed to fit it.

6, took me about an hour to figure it out and get it installed, including pulling out the motherboard after it was all screwed in, so I could attach the anchor on the bottom.

7, the instructions do not tell you or show you that the screws on the brace can be moved between 1 of 3 locked positions.

8, syringe containing the thermal paste is touchy. A lot came out, fast and easy. When I lifted the syringe, the paste was pulling up with it, like stretching gum out to the point of it breaking, and it got on the motherboard armor panel things it has. Thankfully, it didn't get anywhere else. That crap will not come off now, it's almost like it stained it. I even tried using rubbing alcohol on a q-tip but nope. I also had to wipe excess off the CPU because it came out so fast. I fear that I still left too much behind and it's dripping as we speak but I didn't see any when I tightened the heat sink down.

9, fan would not stay in place due to the thin consistency of the thermal paste and this made it very difficult to install as well as the touchy brace.

10, blocks 1 of the 4 RAM slots.

I don't know what a discrete GPU is, but when I get the money, I will most likely be getting the 1070 since there are no real differences that I can tell besides clock speed. I still have my 760 2gb superclocked GPU. The 4 parts I bought cost me $584.

Edited by heartgrave, 19 June 2016 - 11:47 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry you had such troubles, many people do, so I always go for Noctua.

10, blocks 1 of the 4 RAM slots.

Check MB manual, hoping it is not a slot included for best RAM performance.

I don't know what a discrete GPU is

One that is installed to a PCI slot, your GTX 760>   I asked as you may have been using the CPU  iGPU, (integrated video). 

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Oh, when I installed the gpu drivers, I removed the intel integrated graphics through device manager. I have the computer all set up and running, I am using it now. I seem to be getting stuck @ 99% into the windows 10 installation and checking for Windows updates just sits there with the green bar going over and over again for hours.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have seen reports of the install going for 4+ hours, so just leave it a little longer.   If it does not complete, you may have an issue.

Did you run the upgrade advisor before starting the update?

I don't know if there are any issues after removing the Intel drivers but I would not, main reason being if the discrete video cards packs, your stuck with no display.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Did the w10 upgrade finish?   Are you up and running OK?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Sorry, yes sir, all is well!! Thank you!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

did you get the performance boost you were hoping for while gaming or are things about the same?

:popcorn:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Streaming is MUCH better so far, with just the motherboard, cpu and ram. I would say yes!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

good. :spoton:

and when you get that new graphics card, gaming performance will really improve.

so please pop back in and let us know what you think then.

:popcorn: