Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a tablet

for me 86 year father in law

• Please log in to reply

gismeu

gismeu

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hello,

soon it will be my father in law's 87 birthday and he would like to get

a tablet. He used to have a desktop, but due to the operating system being very old,

we threw that one away.

Basically I know nothing about tablets, so need some help here.

Guess you can go online with those like with any laptop we have at home, right?

Apart from that, what else would be fundamentally different to a desk top?

All he wants is read the news and check his bank account.

Thanks for any suggestions, Richard

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Yes the setup is a little different but they do go on line, they have a browser and can do email.  

Maybe something like a Surface 3?  Nice big screen with clear picture.  Lightweight.  Runs Windows 10 so you can run programs you download and works like a desktop.  I'd get the one with 128 GB storage & 4 GB RAM.  There is an optional keyboard if he doesn't like the touch screen.  Try it out at a Microsoft Store but buy it through Amazon.

on the low end a Kindle Fire.  A small 7" screen. This might be hard for old eyes to see.  And only runs downloaded programs that you get through Amazon

but usually less than $50.  

Both of these will break if you drop them so you might invest in a hardened case as it's easy to forget they are on your lap and stand up.

gismeu

gismeu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Thanks Expert,

very helpful!

Richard