Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Memory Problems Running Edge (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 July 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hello flowerchild552008, Never particularly liked Edge from the outset so disabled it and instead use Chrome and without issue, unfortunately this did not work for yourself when you tried it s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Here goes.  Firefox is running and set as default browser.  Things seem to be a little better but then we're slowing down again.  I am attaching a screenshot of Process Explorer and Task Manager for you to look at.  Let me know if there is anything else that I should try or do on my end

Thanks

Deb

Process Exporer 7916 .jpg Task Manager 7916.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

FF or something within it is using way too much memory, two suggestions;

Remove the Magic Jack device and test out your internet connection without it, if no change, go to step 2 below;

Start FF in its own version of safe mode and test, steps for this here

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Here are the tests without Magic Jack. 

Process Exporer 71016 .jpg Task Manager 71016.jpg

I'm not sure the Firefox Safe Mode worked.  Although I think that I followed the instructions it really never restarted itself.  I restarted the system myself and ran the above again.

Process Exporer 71016 - 2 .jpg Task Manager 71016 - 2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Memory use is better without Magic Jack but still too high for some reason.

How is the internet connection behaving without Magic Jack.

Cortana is also hogging the memory, try setting it to Hidden;

Right click on the task bar.
Select the "Search" option.
You'll now see three new options, select Hidden and your done.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

It was a little better without Magic Jack, however that is my home phone service.  So I have restarted it.  Cortana is now set to hidden.  I have also started getting Flash errors (the last while attempting to save the screenshot).  This is a first.  Am I correct that Edge doesn't use Flash? There are only 3 tabs open, Outlook, GTG, and Facebook.  I am attaching the message along with another Task Manager screen shot.  It seems that the local news, anything with video and ads cause a major problem too as I've said before. 

Can you think of anything else we can try?

Flash Error.jpg 2016-07-10 (8).png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Magic Jack is definitely affecting your internet performance so not sure how you will fully resolve this, took a look at the company behind Magic Jack and to say that they have a lot of complaints about a poor product and service would be an understatement, see here

Am I correct that Edge doesn't use Flash? 

Edge does use Flash but it is integrated into it, see here

Bit of backtracking now I`m afraid, re enable Edge, uninstall FF, make sure that Adobe Flash Player is uninstalled, disable Magic Jack and see how Edge behaves then.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Here we go again.  All done.  Although Magic Jack is still showing on the Process Explorer report but I closed it.  I have had Magic Jack for about 7 years and really have never had a problem with it.  The jack that plugs into the computer was loose and I had to replace the unit but that was a 3 or 4 years ago.  My experience with their customer service is almost nonexistent as I haven't needed to contact them for anything.  Guess I am one of the lucky ones.  Or maybe not if that is what is causing my problem. It just seems if that is the case I would have been having problems a long time ago.

I'm attaching the new Process Explorer and will continue to monitor tomorrow. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Edge Process Explorer 71016.jpg

Edited by flowerchild552008, 10 July 2016 - 06:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Will wait on your next update for now but do have another suggestion for you to try that does not involve anything that involves too much work.

When you post back can you let us know if the present Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from an earlier OS such as Windows 7 or 8.1.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Process Explorer 071116.jpg

Everything is about the same although I haven't had any errors or swirling blue cursors.  The only time it gets really slow is on the local news website that I mentioned.  Over the past year or so they have added lots of popup ads and those with the graphics for the weather radar seem to have caused problems, at least for me. 

To answer your question, I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. 

Let me know if there is anything else you think I should try.  I truly appreciate your help.

Here is the latest Process Explorer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Things look marginally better with Edge not hogging so much resources.

Regarding upgrading from 8.1 to 10, the reason why I asked is because many people that have brand name computers such as Dell and HP etc have had problems and the only way to resolve the various issues was a clean install of Windows 10.

To do next, download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Advertisements

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Are the instructions for the new restore point in the steps for the Windows repair or do I need to do that before I start it?  Just want to make sure I understand and would rather ask than to make things worse.  I won't be able to get this done until tomorrow afternoon but will have plenty of time to devote to it then.

Just let me know.  Have a great evening! 

**In attempting find instructions to create a new restore point I have gotten more confused. I clicked on Control Panel and under System and Security it says Backup and Restore (Windows 7).  Windows 8.1 was installed on my computer from Dell if I am not mistaken.  Would this be the correct choice for creating the restore point?

I will wait until I hear from you.

Edited by flowerchild552008, 14 July 2016 - 06:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Apologies for the delay getting back to you, other commitments are taking up my time at the moment. 

Restore point steps here

It could be later on today or tomorrow before I can get back to you I`m afraid 

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

No apology necessary, I totally understand.  I'm not in any rush.  One question though, I've done the restore point and was reading instructions for clean boot.  It does not list Windows 10.  Will the instructions be the same as for 8.1 and do I disable Defender for this step?   Would like to make sure I'm doing this right. 

Edited by flowerchild552008, 15 July 2016 - 12:08 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thank you for being so understanding  :thumbsup:

Windows 10 clean boot tutorial courtesy of Brink here

No harm with you double checking things btw.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

That looks pretty straightforward.  I'll let you know how things go later tonight.