Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Java still a security risk?

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the information.

I have carried out your instructions, looked in hidden folders, but cannot see a cbs.log.

I previously read that XP doesn't generate one?

I will run sfc again.

One obstacle after another.....

Re: "You can go to the Windows Catalog and search for KB2718704.  See if you can install it and if that helps with the errors your browsers reported"

When I try to use Internet Explorer to obtain this update:

"Navigation to the web page was cancelled"

Any site....same.

I'm trying to remember if Internet Explorer was intentionally blocked back in 2014 because of it being outdated and unsafe to use......but in order to get a Microsoft update I have to use Internet Explorer. I know we (one of your colleagues here and I) applied some Internet Explorer security patches.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 17 July 2016 - 03:23 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

See if you can download this file.

Save it and right click and Extract All.  Then double click on the extracted file.  It's that KB2718704 I was talking about.  Should update your certificates and hopefully fix the browser errors.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much for the KB2718704 download, I very much appreciate your time and effort. I successfully installed it and the computer was restarted.

I don't have any difficulty at all connecting to secure sites with Firefox except my bank and I think there is either something wrong with that new site or my comuter is not compatible with it. I get a stream of unresponsive scripts and the computer locks up.

There's something wrong with Google Chrome browser, think I will have to uninstall it. I had problems with the download too.

The pages won't load now.......if it goes any slower it will stop.

Safari browser will connect to http but not https, I get the 'cannot find a secure connection' page still, but it's not the latest version (and that's one thing they suggest to correct the error), I chose the latest version for XP.

Google Chrome is the latest version; perhaps Google Chrome doesn't like XP.

Re: 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: NAPMONTR.DLL.
The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DOT3CFG.DLL.

I cleared the 'System' and 'Application' entries in Event Viewer and run SFC again, still the same result I'm afraid, those DLL files won't load according to the new MiniToolBox scan.

Could there be another reason for DLL files not loading such as a driver issue?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 17 July 2016 - 01:41 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Just want to add this...(see my post above too please)

4 of these errors in a row seconds apart in Event Viewer during SFC.

Not seen this error before.

As mentioned earlier, the XP SP3 CD is brand new and looks it. I carried out the Microsoft checks for it being genuine when it arrived - it passed. As far as I can tell it is.

I also have a brand new XP SP2 one.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Regarding your error. It's talking about the CD/DVD drive. It is having problems reading the disk. Could be dirt or a scratch.

Can you use ie now to go to the catalog? Search for xp AND network. See if you find any updates that apply to sp3 that you don't have

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Oh I see.......I thought, if we do go ahead and attempt an XP repair installation I need to feel confident using that CD, I don't want bad blocks occurring half way through!

I've just checked the CD, there are two small patches of what seems like adhesive from the flap of the envelope it came in. Don't know if this could cause a problem or how best to remove it yet.

I've posted a question under the topic: "How-to repair Windows XP", which I have been studying, as you are away and because I don't want to overload you with questions. Hope that is ok with you. Just want to be prepared for when there might be no other choice. It's an old topic, I might not get an answer.

Firefox is running very fast, but Google Chrome the opposite, strange.

Well I changed the search engine on IE, managed to get to the Windows Catalog page but no option to access updates is given (screenshot attached).

When I tried to go to eBay "Internet Explorer 8 is not supported" then the attached page appeared (getting the upload failed error again) - "IE cannot display the webpage".

Regarding: "I will be driving back to Colorado from Florida over the next 4 days so expect delays.  On the last trip I was too tired when I got to the motel to do anything."

Thanks for letting me know. That's ok, I understand.......I don't mind waiting. You need to rest when you can and concentrate on getting home safely (if Colorado is home). :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 18 July 2016 - 08:37 AM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Hope the drive back to Colorado is going / went well. :)

UPDATE (see above post too please)

Yesterday I opened Internet Explorer to look into why a number of pages weren't loading there.

I run XP Network Diagnostics test (which I had forgotten about, as I don't use Internet Explorer anymore).

This found faults:

"Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by Firewall settings on this computer.

Check the Firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).

You might need to contact your Internet service provider (ISP) or the manufacturer of your Firewall software."

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity (lined in red)

info HTTP successfully connected to www.microsoft.com

warn HTTPS: Error 12157 connecting to www.microsoft.com: An error occurred in the secure channel support

warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established

info FTP (Active) Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com

error Could not make a HTTPS connection

Windows Firewall is set to default. Only other security I have is Avast antivirus and CryptoPrevent. I can access secure sites with Firefox and K-Meleon browsers without any problems, but can't with some others - this is very odd?

I came here to provide you with the detailed diagnostic log and screenshots.

I couldn't upload even one file. >> 'This upload failed' error message again.

I reported this......then installed the latest flash player to see if the advanced uploading option would work. >>

"You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"

? I didn't know there was one, this did not show with the basic uploading option.

I wouldn't have continued to try had I known.

This is a problem, how long will the restriction be in place?

I can't upload scan results or important screenshots to show you.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 20 July 2016 - 06:41 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The catalog requires an add-in to IE in order to give you the search box.  Perhaps IE 8 is too old?

You can get IE 9 from http://www.majorgeek...explorer_9.html

The download problem is easy to fix.  Click on your picture.  Edit Profile, Manage Attachments (left side).  Cluick on the box at the top right which will select All boxes on the page then Delete Selected.  Repeat

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for the information.

I cleared all the attachments.

No luck with IE 9. Apparently IE 9 is not compatible with XP - "Because Internet Explorer 9 uses Direct2D for hardware acceleration which is unavailable in Windows XP. Microsoft would not put IE9 hardware acceleration features in browser IE8 or back port IE9 to older PCs running Windows XP."

?

However, I have managed to install the necessary add-on for Microsoft Update Catalog page.

Have had a quick look, not easy searching for relevant updates.

I searched for this one - Update For Root Certificate for Windows XP KB 931125 from 2013 / 2014, but it didn't find a result?

Seems there was some confusion over this update though from what I have read, not sure if it's ok.

I don't have it.

Here is the XP Network Diagnostic log along with 2 screenshots.

I have carried out all the Microsoft recommended steps from the link below (bar System Restore, which can't help), including successfully re-registering those 9 dll files.

I have also tested with Windows Firewall turned OFF, which according to the XP Network Diagnostics test might be causing the problem.

https://support.micr...xitformemethod4

No different I'm afraid.

Firefox uses 'system proxy settings' in order to connect to the internet and Google Chrome does too, so I don't understand why one has a problem accessing secure sites when the other doesn't.

Attached File  xpnetdiag.xml 2.xml   19.15KB   275 downloads

Attached File  Diagnostic 5.bmp   2.16MB   306 downloads

Edited by scarlet.rose, 22 July 2016 - 05:19 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

See if your clock is synced:

To open Date and Time, click Start, click Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Date and Time

You should have an Update Now button.  Press it and see if it is able to synce the clock.  (The date & time need to be close to the real time for this to work)

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

The time and region is correct.......few seconds ahead. Couldn't see an option to 'Update Now'.

Could this be an XP thing.......Microsoft and Google cutting XP users off?

Could it be in any way related to my ISP?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.

Have you tried in IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset?

Seems to me that if you can connect to an https site with Firefox you should be able to connect to a microsoft site.  

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

So many problems with this computer......but you're so patient and kind, always take the time to give full instructions. I've learnt a lot from you......I'm very grateful to you for that.

The Update Now button is not available unless the Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server check box is selected.

Ok, thank you -- I just looked, can't see that.

Have you tried in IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset?

Yes, I reset it today. Please see Microsoft link in my post before last. I've carried out ALL those steps bar System Restore.

Seems to me that if you can connect to an https site with Firefox you should be able to connect to a microsoft site. 

Yes, I think that too.

Please see the 2 attachments below. There's one for HTTPS, HTTP and FTP in Windows Firewall - they're all unchecked, I tried checking them but no different?

I have an out of date Avast program that I can't uninstall because of missing DLL file/s.

As afraid as I am, I feel I am going to have to try something major (for me)....and risky.

Attached File  Windows Firewall Settings.bmp   675.05KB   297 downloads

Attached File  Windows Firewall Settings 2.bmp   576.05KB   284 downloads

Edited by scarlet.rose, 21 July 2016 - 08:21 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Those are incoming settings on the firewall.  They won't have any effect on outgoing traffic just let certain ports through the firewall from the Internet.

When you connected to the MS catalog wasn't that an https connection?  Perhaps this diagnostic is no good?

Have you tried Avastclear:

https://www.avast.co...install-utility

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Re: "Those are incoming settings on the firewall.  They won't have any effect on outgoing traffic just let certain ports through the firewall from the Internet."

Oh I see, thanks for explaining.

Yes, Microsoft Update Catalog IS a HTTPS site, hadn't noticed!

However, nothing is making sense because when I attempt to access other HTTPS sites I am unable to.......please see the attachments below, which were downloaded after I tried again today.

I added my bank to 'Trusted sites' in Internet Options - no different.

I know you are dealing with lots of different topics here so I will remind you....

I have Avast Free version 2015.10.2.2218 installed, did install the next version but had problems with it so left it at that.

I tried to update this, but got to "Saving package this may take a while" ... then nothing happened, tried twice.

Went to Add / Remove Programs >> "There was an error during product uninstallation", same on re-try.

I downloaded Avast Uninstall Utility (Avastclear) and started the computer in Safe Mode.

Clicked on it. >>>

"instup.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point Get Logical Processor Information could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

I tried again with a second download of Avast Uninstall Utility, same.

Contacted Avast, their response (you will recall):

"This looks like broken installation of SP3 because this entry point was added to Windows XP in SP3. I would suggest to reinstall SP3 if it's possible. My testing XP system kernel32.dll (located in C:\Windows\System32) 5.1.2600.6532."

But I feel the whole OS is broken.

I have asked the Avast team this:

How about if I try the previous Avast Uninstall Utility that worked last year? Or would that be risky? Don't want a problem half way through, even if there wasn't one, don't know whether I'll even be able to install the latest program.......

They won't answer the question, they're just saying reinstall Windows then reinstall Avast antivirus.

I had a problem uninstalling something day before yesterday, had to complete manually because like MiniToolBox mentioned:

"QUtil.dll was not found."

Edited by scarlet.rose, 22 July 2016 - 05:40 AM.