Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Java still a security risk?

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Followed your instruction using Command Prompt - same "Program cannot display the web page" error.

Seems Oobe is corrupt.

How can I have a corrupt file on my computer so soon after a repair installation?

Maybe Microsoft made it so after not liking the "incompatible" keys I entered, despite being genuine or that I had to then leave it blank.

Mismatched CD/s - this was my fear.

I don't think I have any chance of activating Windows as it stands......and IE 8 is also a problem.

"You have 28 days to activate Windows"

I've read that XP will become unusable after that if I don't.

What do you think please.....download below, try to change key (states you can with XP) to pre repair installation one and then add the backed up wpa.dbl / wpabaln.exe files to windows system32 folder?

Or with this compatibility issue that occured after I used the CD "for refurbished pcs", is it more than just the key that would create a problem?

http://www.softpedia...KeyFinder.shtml

http://www.majorgeek...key_finder.html

Or try another repair installation?

PC World technician said bring in hard drive, CDs and keys - they will try and install memory for £60 GBP.

"If you are lucky enough to live on Orcas Island you're lucky enough!"

I've seen that Orcas Island is in your heart.....

Oh that sounds lovely.....I've never been to America. I was born and raised in London, it is unbearably hot and humid here at the moment....

But the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullabye
Rocky mountain high (Colorado)

(John Denver)

:)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 26 August 2016 - 05:40 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Found this:

I had this same issue. Tried to repair windows xp with a slipstream sp3 and still no success. I found the solutions by creating a new dummy profile which created a new registry for that user and the correct activation window came up and was able to successfully able to activate it.

See if you can make a new user (with admin rights) then log in to the new user and try C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A 

http://www.dummies.c...-in-windows-xp/

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I just set up a new user account with admin rights, then logged into it - no different I'm afraid:

"This program cannot display the web page"

Could it be because I wasn't able to input a valid key during the repair installation set up?

I'm thinking of trying another repair installation unless you think that could make the situation worse or if you have any other ideas?

If it will allow me to proceed this time I have 3 different keys to try, including the new one the CD placed on my computer.

I think IE could well be the problem.

Thank you very much for your on-going help and support. Having a working computer is extremely important to me.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 26 August 2016 - 04:57 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Make sure the time & date on your PC is set correctly.  Trying another repair install shouldn't hurt anything.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok will try sometime soon...time and date is correct.

This has not helped with the Windows Activation problem, but......

Yesterday I searched for IE debuggers......I installed this:

http://www.debugbar.com/

Didn't do much, but now apart from when I try to access Microsoft support pages (that might explain) I no longer receive the 'Cannot display the webpage' error like I did before on so many sites (same error as I get when I try to activate Windows).

Look at today's Windows XP Network Diagnostic Tool results compared to how it was before (attached - Windows Firewall has always been set to: Default)!

Attached File  Network Diagnostics IE 8 27 8 2016.bmp   1.37MB   330 downloads

Attached File  Windows did not detect 27 8 2016.bmp   698.67KB   260 downloads

Attached File  Diagnose Connection Problems - Windows cannot ......bmp   2.25MB   269 downloads

Edited by scarlet.rose, 27 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can you give me a screenshot of what you see when you try to activate?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Attached....

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you get the page that allows you to choose between Internet and phone activation?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

No activation dialog appears at all. When I click on 'Activate Windows'.......blank blue window with keys image opens (which I just tried to get a screenshot of but couldn't), then 'This program cannot display the web page' appears, advising me that the most likely cause is no internet connection....

But I have a normal internet connection now in IE according to Windows XP Network Diagnostics tool.

Have Microsoft sabotaged XP users chances of activating Windows now I wonder? Might work in a version higher than IE 8, but they're not compatible with XP.

Saw this that someone had written in 2009 with regards to XP activation problems:

"However I still cannot activate my fully, absolutely, legal copy of windows. The msoobe.exe application does not work. Checking task manager reveals the msoobe.exe process just sitting there in memory taking up 10mb of it, but doing nothing. There are many, many people on the internet who describe the same thing.

Some people say that the problem is caused by doing a repair-install over an XP, service pack 3 system with media player 11 installed. There is also a microsoft patch or hotfix suggested by some of these sites (KB898543), but I cannot download it as it requires XP to be already validated/activated. Reinstalling WMP11 is also out of the question as it requires XP to be already validated/activated.

While I think of something better to do I reinstall Internet Explorer 8... That's it! msoobe.exe now works! The activation window now appears normally and I can activate windows XP. There seems to be a clue in this thread:

http://social.micros...65-2600df036c33.

The msoobe.exe process must use IE components to display its dialogues. With Internet Explorer reset to version6 after the repair-install this may cause msoobe.exe to malfunction. To anyone suffering this problem I say follow Hargak's procedure above, that should get you back into normal mode. Then try to activate. If nothing happens, install IE8, reboot then try again. Thanks all."

I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8.

I did get that warning during set up when I had to leave the product key blank (because it wouldn't accept my then licensed key due to a compability issue with the CD) that I might have problems with activating later because of it.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 28 August 2016 - 06:14 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Have you tried this:

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/938720

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for that useful article....

Just looked in the registry following the steps below from this article

Product ID is not there >>> Think another repair installation is needed, but whether one of the different keys I have now will be accepted I don't know. I entered valid keys for XP SP3 Home Edition last time - they weren't.

Step 5: Verify the value for the ProductID in the registry

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. Locate and then right-click the following registry value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductID
  3. Verify that the registry value appears in the following format:
    <12345-VER-1234567-89012>
  4. If the value appears correctly, restart the computer, and then perform step 1 again.
  5. If you still receive the error message, go to step 6.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 28 August 2016 - 08:28 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps when you played with wba that messed things up so try a new repair install and don't touch wba.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok :)

Not sure when I'll attempt it, but will be soon.

I'll report back to you afterwards.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

RKinner....

I'VE DONE IT!

With YOUR help.

2nd repair install, activated by phone!

So relieved....no more 'This program cannot display the web page'....

See picture >>>

Attached File  Activation successful!.bmp   993.8KB   267 downloads

Want to check some things with you when I've celebrated and had a rest.

Edited by RKinner, 29 August 2016 - 03:06 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

All seems good to me.......would you kindly check for me please.

Was very impressed with the non destructive repair installation.

All Windows core files deleted and replaced without destroying any drivers, documents and settings.

There was this section during set up after repair installation: 'Installing devices'....so seems they were saved, uninstalled and reinstalled?

Thought I might lose some drivers, but Device Manager looks fine to me, please see picture below.

*Regarding the yellow question mark by 'Other devices' >>

'Unsupported Device' is normal for my computer after an XP upgrade:

https://support.micr...en-us/kb/811152

Seeing things I didn't see before......my Dell tag in Help and Support Center (which I didn't know and have been asked for several times), pages that weren't displaying properly on Facebook (missing images, messages not showing) that I put down to me using an outdated browser now display normally. The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service is no longer terminating unexpectedly (Event Viewer).

No dll errors! :) Computer is running much better, but I need to install more memory at some point...

Attached File  Device Manager 3 9 2016 post repair installation 2.bmp   1.58MB   241 downloads