Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 64bit keeps crashing and can't update (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 23 August 2016 - 03:58 AM

Hello Faina, What has been tried without success to correct the problems that you are having; Running Driver Verifier.Running the Windows All in One repair tool.Running Dism /Online /Clea... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I've run the Windows All in One Repair, twice, in safe mode (restore point done, power reset done, registry back up done, clean boot done)

the PC is still starting 

Do I need to run the DV now or do you want I do something else? Do you want the log?

How is the computer behaving, any more crashes since running the AIO tool and is the computer now updating ok.

Advertisements

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Same... can't update and keep crashing...

don't know if this could help your analysis, but yesterday crashed several times during a skype video call

I did some research that I didn't before (sorry my fault): the Asus z87-pro (V edition) is not supported for win 10 64 bit.... what do you think?

I have the Intel 4770K as processor. 

Do I need to change MB and processor? Can I keep at least the RAM?

thanks!

cheers

Edited by Faina, 04 August 2016 - 08:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Same... can't update and keep crashing...
don't know if this could help your analysis, but yesterday crashed several times during a skype video call

** Will come to this below.

I did some research that I didn't before (sorry my fault): the Asus z87-pro (V edition) is not supported for win 10 64 bit.... what do you think?

Not sure where you read this information but it is incorrect, Windows 10 drivers are clearly listed here your processor is also all good with Windows 10 and unless something is proven to be faulty you will not need to replace any item/s of hardware.

** Uninstall Norton using the Norton removal tool, if a paid for product please make a note of your licence key product first in case you wish to try reinstalling it again in the future, removal tool details etc here

Once Norton has been uninstalled, check that Windows Defender has been automatically enabled and then have it carry out a full scan of your computer and see if it is able to update, post back with an update for us when done please.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Phillpower2,

I've done what you said and when I update the system again can't boot and needs to roll back, unfortunately no progress

about Win 10 compatibility: I've downloaded all the drivers, but the Asus AI Suite III doesn't have such update. There is one for the newer MB but I don't know if it could work with mine

looking forward to the next steps

thanks!

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Faina,

I've done what you said

Does this include uninstalling Norton using the Norton uninstaller tool.

Please do the following and then post back with an update;

1: Type cmd in the search field on the task bar.
2: When Command Prompt appears, right click on it and then select Run as Administrator.
3: Copy/paste the following command  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth press Enter, wait for the results, grab a screenshot and attach to your next reply for us please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Does this include uninstalling Norton using the Norton uninstaller tool.

yes it does

Here the result of dism

Picture1.png

thanks!

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello Faina,

Note the message in your screenshot;

The component store is repairable.

Looks like the DISM tool has been able to do its job which is hopefully good news regarding repairing Windows.

DISM is reporting that the files are now available that SFC needs to complete the repairs to the OS so run SFC until you get the Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations message, you may get lucky and only need to run SFC once but be prepared to run it multiple times, steps below;

1: Type cmd in the search field on the task bar.
2: When Command Prompt appears, right click on it and then select Run as Administrator.
3: In the elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow and press Enter. 

Post back with an update for us when ready.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Phillpower2,

I did it and this is the result

Picture1.jpg

I search for "corrupt" in the log file and this is what I've found

CSI    0000422e [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:10]"opencl.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

thanks for your help!

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Helping another member with the same problem so you are not on your own with this;

Windows has corrupt/missing files that SFC is unable to repair so would suggest the refresh without losing your data option as detailed here

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Phillpower2,

thanks for your answer: what if trying this one first?

http://www.tenforums...-not-fixed.html

could you please let me know?

thanks

cheers

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Faina,

You are of course free to try that option but I would try a Windows Refresh first, far easier as Windows does most of the work for you and you do not need to have Windows 10 media;

A: The refresh option does not delete your personal data but may remove certain apps such as Chrome etc, I do however always recommend that folk back up any important data before carrying out a refresh or making any significant changes to the computers software or hardware.

1: Right click on the notifications icon, bottom right on the task bar then click on Open Action Centre.

2: Click on the All settings tab.

3: Click on the Update & Security tab.

4: Click on the Recovery tab to the left.

5: Click on the Get started tab.

6: Click on the Keep my files option.

7: Follow any on screen messages.

8: Post back with an update for us.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I do have the media, so I will try the "refresh without losing your data option" and let you know :)

thanks!

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Phillpower2,

I wasn't successful again...

Picture1.png

I've googled a little bit and some says that is due to a symantec product that I don't have (endpoint protection). I've checked the manual uninstall down to the registry but it's not there...

looking forward to the next step

thanks

cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Symantec are the company behind Norton products in case you are not aware.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.