Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ruby on Rails / AJAX

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Ruby on rails is a set of database programming tools that's capturing a lot of attention as an all-in-one tool, and AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript+ XML) is a coding technique. The core of AJAX lies in a Browser based object named XMLHttpRequest which allows the browser to invoke remote calls back to the server, without the need to reload the current page. Many people think these tools are about to revolutionize the way we view the web. Anybody doing any work with them, or have examples of sites that utilize them well?

The forum this software runs on (Invision) will have many AJAX features in its next release. I must say it's very cool to see an area of the screen refresh, without having to reload the whole page. I wonder how long it will be until we see forums that don't require a page refresh (non-Flash)?

Advertisements

CrAzY_J

CrAzY_J

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Im not sure if www.gzevollution.net uses them, the admin is a AJAX expert so it's a good chance he does use AJAX.

efilm66

efilm66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
If I want to take full advantage of Ajax in the future what types of languages should my site utilize, or to my previous question, would it work in ruby on rails? I know you mentioned it but its still over my head.. or if i ended up using a language like PHP or ASP, would Ajax work in those languages?