Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts randomly for no reason (Resolved).

Best Answer ongoing , 04 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

hi i think i solved the issue i checked the power supply connection it wasent set in fully.....i left the comp on last night with a game running.....then today i have it on still no restart....i th... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ongoing

ongoing

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi sorry i am not sure where to post this topic....my comp restarts randomly a lot of the time while playing games i have gotten 1 blue screen....but not sure if i should post it here pls help ty

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello ongoing,

Typical symptoms of overheating or an underpowered PSU which we will come to shortly but can you first of all check for any crash dmps;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.

2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.

3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options tab then the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi i cant seem to find the dump files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Courtesy of Microsoft;

If you cannot locate a complete memory dump file or a complete kernel memory dump file, you can configure your computer to record them by generating an event report. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type control sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
  4. In the Write debugging information list, click Complete memory dump or click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK.
  5. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
  6. In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now. Click No if you want to restart your computer later.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

this is the only 1 i can see there

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

forgot to attach it sorry

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Sorry ongoing but you appear to have attached a shortcut, please try again using the exact steps provided.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

i hope this is what u need

Attached Files

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

i looked in event viewer and found microsoft managment console with a red x mark could this be part of the cause of the restarts because each time my comp restarts this error shows up

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Your dmps are of no use I`m afraid as the latest ones are dated way back in March 2016, fwiw, the crash was caused by PROCESS_NAME:  plugin-container.exe which is associated with Mozilla Firefox.

i looked in event viewer and found microsoft managment console with a red x mark could this be part of the cause of the restarts because each time my comp restarts this error shows up

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

Advertisements

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi i ran the windows all in one repair following all instructions.........where do i go from here ohh and i did have one restart 3hrs later

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Was it a restart or a crash, if a crash upload the dmp file for us, if a restart, see below;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi phillpower2 i check the minidump there is only one there dated 30/7/2016 i then downloaded speed fan but ts not showing any thing but the hdd

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
 i check the minidump there is only one there dated 30/7/2016 

Which suggests that it was a restart and not a crash meaning that the issue is hardware or overheating related.

i then downloaded speed fan but ts not showing any thing but the hdd

Run Speedfan and HWMonitor, take the required screenshots and upload them as previously requested please.

ongoing

ongoing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
✓  Best Answer

hi i think i solved the issue i checked the power supply connection it wasent set in fully.....i left the comp on last night with a game running.....then today i have it on still no restart....i think that was the problem....i am still waiting to see if anything happens all good so far......im so sorry i should have checked the connections first...sorry for taking up your time...and thank u for all the help u provided...il let u know if anything happens in the next 2 days....hopefully this is resolved...thank u so much