Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rich Little white girls

• Please log in to reply

jhmillard

jhmillard

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm sorry but I need to rant. I am sick,sick, sick and tired of turning on the news and seeing some rich little white girl that has dissapeared. Don't get me wrong I wish no one harm ever, but the national media has spun itself out of control. Lets see, since this little girl went missing in Aruba, 35 soldiers have died in Iraq, thousands of nameless people have dissapeared and what does the media cover ? 1 person who happens to be white with a pretty smile. And all this on the heels of the "runaway bride" and that on the heels of Lacy Peterson 2 year search/trial ordeal. I have a hard time beleiving that the majority of americans really even care about this nonsense. I'm not even saying that dissapearences shouldn't be covered, if a case seems as though it can be solved by national media attention, amber alerts and such then go ahead give it some press but three solid weeks? Or TWO freakin years!!!! come on!! And lets see some people who don't fall into the class of rich little white girls, how about a little diversity? And as i sit here typing this i see NBC has devoted an hour prime time special to the "runaway bride" some [bleep] that ran away from her husband to be, now has a Prime time special. I'm moving to Canada :tazz:

Advertisements

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
yea i agree its rediculouse but people believe stuff like that is more important personaly i would have killed the run away bride if i was the goverment :-/ wast of there money and time

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
TwiztidNinja

i would have killed the run away bride if i was the goverment

A bit harsh dont ya think? ;)

jhmillard,

I can agree with you at some level. But for the reason of all of this is the ratings.
If they feel it will bring in the ratings (or already have), this is the only reason why they keep a story alive.

Yes, it gets old... Same thing when I hear stuff about movie/music stars. Get over it, leave them alone... Like I care what perfume/underware they wear. :tazz:

But as long as you sit there, watching it, keeping the tv rates going, then they will keep talking about it. "TURN THE CHANNEL"

I could find better things to do with my time.

Hearing about it once is enough for me.

Thus, the reason why I dont watch news like that over and over again.

;)

Enzeru Rocker

Enzeru Rocker

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'd have to agree with you all on this.

Edited by Enzeru Rocker, 17 June 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Sultec

Sultec

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
That's why I don't watch any TV.
I do my couch potoato thing online!

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts

yea i agree its rediculouse but people believe stuff like that is more important personaly i would have killed the run away bride if i was the goverment :-/ wast of there money and time

View Post

not harsh, just ill considered and ignorant.

UKBiker

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
i try and stay away from the news in general....i have links to certain pages on cnn.com to avoid all of the petty crap.

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
nah im in favor if a dictatorshipo and me being the dictator

Juz Maself

Juz Maself

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'd like to point out that the news channles are biased.

wademy

wademy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Unfortunately in my neck of the woods, we've had an influx of missing children. Not one had ended happily.

I wonder at times, why I even watch the news.

TwiztidNinja

TwiztidNinja

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i Like to watch the news to see how a person guned down an inoccent cop who cares about 200 kids donateing there allowance to a charity i want to see the ruthless stuff </sarcasm>

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
scuse me,can you not switch channels,or maybe read a book?Any program on television is fixated on your almighty advertising dollars.When ya get to Canada they might have the same problems only with missing sleddogs instead of little sniveling white girls.While we're at it,why are there no white cultural after school groups(hate groups not intended)?Everything has a reason and in todays' culture it's to seperate you from your dollar.

jhmillard

jhmillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well Harry you raise some interesting points, why not change the channel? The fact is that when i see aruba come up i do change the channel as fast as possible. My real question i guess is WHO is watching this crap? Why is it marketable? Why are the Downing Street Memos NOT marketable? After 9/11 we were all up in arms because of dead Americans, but now Dead Americans just aren't important anymore? Over 1700 Americans have died in Iraq and no news service seems to give a [bleep], well i do give a [bleep]. The reason for the Canada comment is that i am increasingly disgusted by a nation that feels one white girl going to Aruba and dissapearing is more important than three US soldiers dying everyday. So maybe the rant should have included a plea, a plea to all those people glued to their TV's (increasing ratings) waiting to hear the latest development in Aruba WHY DO YOU CARE? Do millions of people personally know her?
I doubt it. I don't mean to single out the aruba case, i want to know why Americans are so obsessed with inconsequential news, Why do we care about Micheal Jackson, the Runaway Bride, Lacy Peterson etc.

As far as white clubs, i don't get your point, you're going to have to expound on that one.

Koretek

Koretek

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Ummn, Ok I just gotta say it Im sorry but why oh why couldnt you have just said something like "these missing girl-woman stories that in your opinion are not half as important as other things going on today? Or something like that I am sure you catch my intention here, what were you thinking when you said "White Girls"??

White Girls??
White Girls??
White Girls??

I have to laugh at the people who watch the news and you only heard one story? Lets see now I bet I can tell you a bunch of things that happened or were on the news yesterday and I only watch it once a day and thats at dinnertime personally.
Including the Ku Klux Klan preacher, Baghdad had a serious explosion that killed quite a few but the # escapes me right now, 20 dead was it and scores wounded if I remember half correctly on that one. Iran is having an election and the candidates are supposedly very bad for anyone but the hardliners or that is what is feared anyway, ummn lets see

................. I am trying to remember the top stuff cuz I live in New York and there was a few murders but I consider that local and so you guys prob dont know about it, there was ANOTHER Michael Jackson piece but I dont wanna discuss another rich Black guy who sexually assaults children or the Black guys who sexually assault women and then pay thier way out like Mike Tyson and Kobe Bryant and Jim Brown and lets see how bout some more Black Guys who are sexually sick......................... I would go into the 50% of Latino men that are alcoholic which is a true statistic here in the US of A but I dont wanna start a color war but Im purposely being a moron here to show you its dangerous Ok? There isnt many-many-many different newsworthy things just those stories on a certain day right? (Cynical of course) Ya think your problem is with "WHITE GIRLS" maybe? Cuz I am telling you now its glaringly obvious to me what your problem is and that happens to be it.
So maybe a lil therapy is in order or something OR then again I could be wrong BUT maybe we just need to be really careful when we say things about Race-Religion and Color because it can inflame people and Cmon now you have to admit that color shouldnt be an issue but when U make statements like that one they will become an issue quick!!

Ok so I make my point I hope, personally like I said I live in NY and I say this so you can maybe picture that being its a small place we all live together in many mixed neighborhoods and you know what, where I live I dont ever remember anyone having a prob with someone different based on color least of all myself. I am about as liberal as it gets when it comes to allowing people to be who they are, live how they want and to be able to pursue thier own dreams free from the problems that racism can bring Ok? I AM NOT SAYING that you are a racist altho it was a total racist statement you just made there, you need to be really careful about that type of thing is what I am saying and Im sorry if I went off half cocked but I know the horrors of what racism can do I lived thru the race wars of the 70's. I am 46 years old and I have seen many-many good things so lets try to focus on some of the better things and if the news bothers you that much (or white girls) then maybe you should find somewhere else to put your capable energy JH. Please dont hate me and to all the black and Latino men out there I am sorry I needed to borrow some of the ill things I brought up to make a point BUT in fairness I have done the same thing when it is said about anyone of color or race or religion many times before and I will proudly do it again many times more!

Wow, I just couldnt hold that back, sorry if I offended anyone in al seriousness and with total humility I beg your understanding.

jhmillard

jhmillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The point i was trying to make, and i apparently didn't do it very well, was that when it comes to missing persons it seems as though the media only wants to put a pretty face on the screen. I used the Aruba case as an example of this disparity in the media. Of course the media shows other news items, it would be a little obvious to talk about the same story 24 hours a day. What i'm saying is that we are now four weeks into ths story and some media outlets are still treating it as a headline. And to be honest four weeks isn't that much but it is a whole lot more than the other 99.99% of kidnapped, abducted , missing people get.

I hate quoting comedians in what i consider to be a serious topic but Dave Chapelle had a great bit when contrasting two abduction stories. The first was Elizabeth Smart, a 15 year old girl abducted in Utah, you most likely have heard of her. The second was Erica Pratt, a 7 year old girl abducted in Philadelphia, until Chapelle used her in a bit I had never heard of her. Ercia Pratt happened to be african american. You can google her and read her story.

As far as being racist, well i'm white, so i don't think i can be racist towards white people, self defeating. But i have to say as a white person that it disgusts me to always see a pretty "white" face when it comes to prolonged news coverage of abductions.

You'll also note that in the post above yours i indicated that i was equally disgusted by the Jackson coverage and for that matter i was disgusted by the Kobe coverage last year and will always be disgusted by prolonged news coverage that is driven by how rich someone is or how pretty they are.

I'm am not saying this to be mean, BUT,I have to say fighting what you believed to be racism with more racist comments just doesn't make alot of sense to me.