Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet slow, almost unresponsive, please help, needed for work

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Not heard back from you truder, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good Morning.  Sorry for the delay;.... I will download microsoft.net as instructed above then try to do updates and will report back.

Thanks,

Truder

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

:thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Not heard back from you truder, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good Morning,  When I attempt to update, the screen continues to state checking for updates but never complete the checking process.  I end up having to "X" out of the screen.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Truder

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Good Morning Truder,  

Did you follow the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 steps in reply #16 and are sill having problems with installing the other updates.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Not sure if it's a coincidence but after temporarily disabling Avast I again tried to play a video on youtube and it seemed to work fine.  Do you think something running in Avast is slowing my system down?  Is there another free antivirus software you can recommend or is Avast the best?

thank you,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Good Morning Truder,  

Did you follow the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 steps in reply #16 and are sill having problems with installing the other updates.

Can you answer the above please.

Uninstall Avast and then download MSE from here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good Morning.  I'm sorry i've been so lacked in getting back to you.  I've been real busy between work and getting life back to normal due to Hurricance Matthew.  Please bare with me.  I'll try to find some time later today to do the required actions mentioned above and get back to you.

thank you for your help.

truder

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

:thumbsup:

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good Morning,

I did topic #16 but when trying to install updates it still gets hung up on "checking for updates" and goes no further :(

Truder

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good Morning.  Sorry again for the delay.  I am not sure what happened to my computer but it has been down and out.  I just now was able to get back online and respond.  I ended up having to resort to rebooting to a date back to last known good staring point on startup.  Not sure if doing this changed any of the previous steps we have done but it was the only way I could figure out how to get my computer to work.  The last thing I was doing when this occurred was trying to install updates that never seemed to load.  My cursor just kept spinning as if it was loading but never stopped. 

Let me ask a question.  Is it possible to reset computer to factory settings so it's the way it was when first purchased?  Do you think this would help?

Thanks and sorry for being a pain customer.  I'm not trying to be.  Just want this computer to work good again.

Truder

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Let me ask a question.  Is it possible to reset computer to factory settings so it's the way it was when first purchased?  Do you think this would help?

Only if you have either a recovery partition or HP recovery media that you made when the computer was new, to check for a recovery partition, restart the computer while continually tapping the F11 key, let us know what, if anything happens.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
When I press f11 in the bottom left is says system recovery and upon loading the recovery manager appears. Welcome to the recovery manager. Use this program to recover your computer to its original factory condition. Then my option are to click either advanced options, next or cancel.