Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with charging port for a Dell Inspiron 5559

• Please log in to reply

Jochez

Jochez

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I bought a Dell Inspiron in December, and it functioned well since then.

Some days ago I forgot my original Dell charger at a friend's house. Then I found a Targus universal charger I had in my storage.

On that charger, there's plenty of charger tips to choose from. In the end I found a pretty long charger tip, that seemed to work with my Dell PC. Since it was Targus, it doesn't charge the computer, and stronly reduces the performance, but it keeps the computer alive at 0% power.

But now that I received my original Dell charger, it doesn't work. When I put it in, nothing happens, and it seems it's possible to wriggle it around inside of the port.

Therefore I wonder if the Targus-charger damaged my port, even though the Targus-charger still functions okay, if the charging tip is locked all the way inside. But it still makes my computer act like an old 100 Mhz, so that's not optimal at all.

What can I do now?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

:welcome:   Jochez,

Therefore I wonder if the Targus-charger damaged my port, even though the Targus-charger still functions okay, 

It is entirely possible and being honest I would not say that the Targus charger is functioning ok for your notebooks power requirements, from what you describe it sounds like not enough or inconsistent power is being received by the MB, does the tip that you are using have two metal pins in it like the one here, if yes, are they straight and not loose.

Jochez

Jochez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, that's similar to the charger tip for my Targus.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Are the pins in the tip in good condition, straight and not loose.

Jochez

Jochez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yes, but the Targus charger is not really the problem. The problem is why the Dell charger has stopped functioning, and how I can fix the charging input port in the main computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

The following are clues that the Targus adapter is not appropriate for use with your computer and that the DC jack port on the computer has been damaged in some way; 

In the end I found a pretty long charger tip, that seemed to work with my Dell PC. Since it was Targus, it doesn't charge the computer, and stronly reduces the performance, but it keeps the computer alive at 0% power.

But now that I received my original Dell charger, it doesn't work. When I put it in, nothing happens, and it seems it's possible to wriggle it around inside of the port.

A replacement DC jack port is not expensive, one here but it involves a near complete dismantle of the notebook to carry out, guide for the various Dell 15 5xxx series here

Are the voltage and amps on the both chargers exactly the same, if the Targus has lower voltage and amps than the Dell charger it would explain the poor performance and lack of charging capability, if the case, you will most likely find that the Targus charger will also get hot due to the demands placed on it.