Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first ever performance rig

• Please log in to reply

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi there,

I just finished the testing. Well, it wasn't much progress over the first time I attempted to run memtest. Here's a screenshot. It has always just stopped at 16%. Progress never moves from that point on and everything just freezes so I can't escape the menu either.  :headhurt:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170202_185114.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The CPU temp looks OK, so does not look like a heat issue.

As you are getting a freeze and not a shutdown, try.  (no need to post screenshot)

Remove the stick of RAM from DIMM #4, test. > Result?

Remove the stick from DIMM #2, swap in the stick from DIMM #4, test, Result?

Move the stick from DIMM #2 into DIMM #4, test, Result?

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi there,

So I was trying to do the tests, however the freezing started happening again. So I had to turn the computer off a number of times in order to do it. Only thing is, I didn't get to complete all of the tests. The first one with RAM in Dimm slot #2 only made it to 16% and froze. I can't turn on my PC anymore for some reason. Shorting the power on the motherboard isn't working this time. I'll try again later and see if it works and let you know.

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Okay I tried again and was able to complete the other two tests.

Swapped ram in slot 4 to slot 2 and tested: Stopped at 16%

Placed ram in slot 4 and tested: PC restarted once it got to 16% and then froze.

It has actually been freezing a lot in random places again. And all of the tests have never made it past 16%, ever since I started running memtest. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The most consistent reason for test fail is a bug with UEFI and Memtest on some MBs, work around below, if this fails, will have to try booting into windows.

Install one stick of RAM in slot 2.

Note you are having some problems with starting power on.   If you rotate the board so the Case Header is on the right, will the case PWR plug reach so you can use it? (one push  to start, hold in for four seconds to power off)  perhaps a telephone book, under the box, will lift it high enough.

Boot to the USB stick, > when the main screen opens, > click on CPU selection, (on the left) > select single.   

Click on Exit and reboot the system, The test should begin after about ten seconds.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Rx7HKS .

Were you able to do the test?   Have you moved on and tried something else?

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hello there,

I tried multiple times to do it but it always freezes up as soon as click on Single CPU Selection in the MemTest config screen. Sometimes it freezes before I can even pick a menu option. I haven't been successful at getting it to run a test on single CPU selection due to the freezes.

I tried this with both RAM sticks in the dimm slot 2 at separate times.  :headhurt:  :headhurt:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Lets see if we can use any tools at Boot.   Remove the Mamtest USB  stick. 

When booting, any beeps?   Are any of the Debug LEDs lite?

On the link below, last item, Quick preview system status, show normal system volts, (not under load)   If any of your reading are way different, Please take and uplooad a pic.

Look at Memory-Z, Are there any tools to benchmark or test?

https://www.msi.com/...etail/uefi-bios

CPU Z User Guide, Possible access is pressing F5 at Boot, otherwise may be in the Uefi. > https://www.msi.com/...etail/uefi-bios

When we need to boot to windows, will cables be long enough to reach the SSD while the test bench is being used?

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hey there,

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I removed the MemTest USB stick to boot up and I received no beeps on startup. The debug LED usually just shows A2. The computer freezes often at all sorts of random points, sometimes immediately even before showing the BIOS screen so it's difficult to navigate without having to restart often. I managed to get it to the Quick preview system status section. I'm not sure what's out of the ordinary so I'll upload a pic of what I got.

The voltages on System 5V and System 12V seem to update real time, again i'm not very sure what's good and what's bad here. It did freeze on me at the time that I took that picture, so those numbers are the frozen in place numbers.

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170215_204814.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Rx7HKS,.   Sorry ti's taking so long, seems to have gone backwards.

Your in the right place, +5v is OK, +12v is a bit high, but when under load should be OK, Dram (memory) OK, but no 3.3v showing, don't no why.

Test results in reply #26 were good.   Only difference being now is you have the case PWS plug connected.

Please check the RAM is properly seated, also the keyboard and mouse.   Check the 2 main power plugs are properly seated, (locking tabs engaged)

Power on,

Does the keyboard still flash?  

Is the Uefi displayed on the monitor?  

Can you move the mouse about?  

Does the Debug screen show D6, (no Boot drive detected)

Advertisements

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi there,

Okay so, it seems to be looking worse and worse. :( I reseated the RAM and the 2 main power plugs just to be sure and here are the results:

1st Boot:

Code - 79, Keyboard LED's flashed but they froze during the flash, Mouse LED's did not light up. No monitor display

2nd Boot:

Code - 66 into A6 - Keyboard LED's flashed and OK, Mouse LED's fine OK. No monitor display

3rd Boot:

Code 62 - Keyboard LED's flashed but froze, no Mouse LED's. No monitor display

I'm not sure what that means. But the reason for the monitor display not happening could be because the freezes could be happening much sooner before it even has a chance for the bios splash screen comes on?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You won't get a monitor until quite late in the Boot process.

What type of Keyboard being used?   Wireless,wired USB, (which port?), PS/2?

Check the Slow Boot switch is set to default, User Manual page #41.

EDIT.

Can you Boot into setup?, if yes

press the F6 key, > save settings and exit.

at reboot, what Debug code is displayed?

Do you have access to a known working PSU we could swap in to test the MB,  even a 350W would do.

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi there,

The keyboard I'm using is a SteelSeries mechanical keyboard. It's wired USB. Same with my mouse. I connected both of them to the USB ports closest to the CPU(right under the PS/2 input). The slow boot switch has been on default the whole time, I just checked.

Right now I can't boot into setup, as per my last reply. Having difficulty getting a monitor without a freeze.

At the moment I don't have a working PSU that I can use. I do have one on the computer i'm using at the moment to write this response, but I don't feel like taking a risk at dismantling this PC as well after the issues i'm having with my current. Is my PSU the problem? This seems like a good PSU, miles above the one i'm using right now.

EDIT:

I also use this keyboard and mouse for the computer I'm typing from now. I switch them on and off since I don't have a spare keyboard and mouse, but that should confirm that they're in great working condition.

Edited by Rx7HKS, 20 February 2017 - 08:19 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Can you get hold of a PS/2 keyboard to try?

Even though your PSU is above the wattage required, and new, it could still be faulty, often a cause of your symptoms.   Without at least being able to boot to setup and it remain stable'; not being able to run a RAM diagnostic; any from below can be the problem.   Progressing up the list (simple to harder) eliminates it as the cause.

Use a known good PSU.

Use one stick of good RAM, in DIMM 2, then every other slot.   If fail, corrupted BIOS/memory controller, damaged CPU/MB.

Flash the BIOS with latest firmware as you don't have Dual BIOS.   Always a bit risky, especially in your case as not running stable.

Remove the cooler/CPU, look for damaged pins, if OK, swap in a known good CPU.   If fail.

Seek a RMA for the MB.

Some options.

1.   Check the MB warranty, both from MSI and the suppler to see if a failed BIOS flash is covered.  If yes, Flash the BIOS and test.

2.   RMA the RAM and CPU now as you are unlikely to have ones to swap in.  

3.   Find a local repair shop that would test the computer, Edit,  My local shop will test a PSU for nothing, inquire that first.  Alternative, if reasonable, reinstall the MB, make required connection.   Do not install the GPU, but take it with you so it could be tested after the main rig is done.  This may be cheaper than sending parts back, as you are likely to pay shipping.

Sorry it's a bit doom and gloom.   Let us know your thoughts. 

Rx7HKS

Rx7HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Good Morning,

Thank you again for being helpful and sorry for the delay in responses on my end. I stress out alot on my end and procrastinate on these things since it feels like I invested quite a bit on putting it together. I feel like I shouldn't have never attempted to OC the CPU. That's when all of the issues started occuring. I remember stress testing it for hours and everything seemed great, but I didn't see that coming.

Anyways, I think i'll take everything that I've gathered from your help and phone in a computer repair shop and see if they can offer to test these things out so that I can figure out what isn't functioning.

I'll keep the post updated as I reach a conclusion.

Thanks!