Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instagram! Help! Recovering embarrassing photos of me

• Please log in to reply

jesslong

jesslong

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I had some embarrassing photos on an Instagram account that didn't have any ties to me, like email-phone number- or name. I deleted each individual picture, follower, following, DM, and I changed the username and added new pictures, then I permanently deleted the account. I know that there are copies in servers that will be deleted at a "later time". Now, the situation is sensitive, I have a person good with technology and who has been able to recover deleted Instagram post before trying to do the same to me. Is there anything I can do at all to prevent it from happening? This is extremely important and I need to make sure nothing off that account is recoverable.

Advertisements

UnloosedCake

UnloosedCake

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

That's certainly a good question, and I'm afraid the answer is, in short: no.

There's a saying, "Once it's on the Internet, it's forever" and that's most often the case. There are web scrapers, file indexers and a multitude of other programs and services running 24/7 on the Internet, indexing and saving every bit of data they come across. Granted, most of these aren't created with the sole purpose of finding embarrassing images of people, but there's every chance that's how they can be used. 

Here's a good example I use all the time: https://archive.org/web/ the "Wayback Machine" has a cache of over 298 BILLION webpages from all ages of the Internet, saved and easily accessible for anyone's use.

Whether or not any of the tools that are out there have saved/cached your photos cannot be stated with 100% accuracy, but I'd say you've taken the necessary precautions to avoid any easy recovery of the photos, all that's left is the more difficult methods.

This sort of goes without saying, but in the future, if you don't want it seen by (insert sensitive family member's name here), don't post it.

Existing_One

Existing_One

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sorry, but why did you upload it when you already know it was embarrassing? :spoton:  As long as someone already got it your picture, there is not anything that you can do beside than talking to that person to delete it.