Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Devices To Stop Intruders

• Please log in to reply

johnkromka

johnkromka

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been looking lately around the Internet for network devices that are designed to stop intruders, hackers, or anyone who is not supposed to be on your network.  Please don't ask me why I want this, I just do.  I am looking for devices that are placed in the cable line BEFORE the router, so "whatever is not supposed to be on the network" doesn't reach the router, and after that, reach the devices connected to it.
Surprisingly, I have found very little.  The only thing I have found that has met my criteria is something called the Fingbox. It is hooked up as I say and constantly monitors your wireless and wired networks for intruders.  If something is found, all you have to do is click block and it's history.  I have written to the company several times. I have read several very positive reviews on the device.  It is not badly priced at $129.  I am seriously thinking of getting it.  However, I have seen some other devices, such as very expensive routers that are designed to do basically what the Fingbox does, won't allow the "intruder" to get into the devices. So this is what I have been searching for.  Please don't criticize or give me any negative feedback about what I want to do.   It is my choice and I am hoping some of you may already be using such devices and can recommend something or a networking company for me to look at.  Price is not an object, as long as I feel it is worth it.  Thank you.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The device you are looking for is called a hardware firewall. 

This page talks about some of them:  http://windowsreport...evice-for-home/

(Ignore the garbage before where it says:

Bitdefender BOX

This firewall comes from Bitdefender security company and it can protect all smart devices in your network. This device combines hardware, software and cloud in order to provide the maximum security to your network. Since your smart devices usually don’t have an antivirus, you’ll be pleased to hear that Bitdefender Box can protect them from online threats.

You will have to research each one to see if it does what you want and is in your price range.  There are also features in your router that can be turned on to make your network safer.  For example you can tell the router not to talk to any devices except those with previously approved M.A.C.'s.  Most routers have a firewall.

There are also software programs that sit on a PC and detect intruders.  https://www.snort.org/