Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Problem Win10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Joshbull623

Joshbull623

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just got a brand new custom desktop that will not seem to take a proper IP address for some reason. Everything in the computer is new, nothing is used, refurbished, or even open box, everything is new and seems to be working properly otherwise. When plugging in the ethernet cable, one which was removed from my main computer which connects to the internet just fine with it, the lights around the cable light up like they normally do and blink so as far as I can tell nothing is wrong with the ethernet cable itself or data being sent to the new computer. I installed windows 10, right away on the setup it could not identify the network or connect, I skipped that and got everything fully installed. This is a fresh install, no other software to conflict with anything by the way is present on the system. When the desktop came up down where the network icon is showed Unidentified network, no internet access. Everything else, all the drivers(including the network adapter driver) and even the usb ports on the same module of the ethernet port work perfectly and showed no issues or errors. I went through the basic steps I am use to for this situation-
1. Checked to make sure the drivers installed properly, they didn't show up in device manager with any problems, I uninstalled them anyway and restarted and let them reinstall, they did successfully. No change.
2. Clicked the troubleshoot problems from windows network diagnostic choice, it did its thing, came up with -"Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration-

3. I then disabled the network and then re-enabled it, did not solve the problem or change it.

4. I tried in admin command prompt the netsh winsock reset & netsh int ip reset commands then restarted, no change.

5. I disabled ipv6 in adapter settings, didn't change anything.

6. I then tried manually adding a proper ip address with googles dns address and this didnt not fix anything.

7. At this point I was pretty sure there had to be something with my router, I set all the firewall and network security settings to the lowest available, nothing like mac address filtering or anything like that is enabled to begin with too fyi, reset the router and the computer and nothing changed. I did however notice that the router did not detect the new desktop which has always shown a 169.254.x.x address. 

8. I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled the OS system and that didn't change anything either.

I have the ethernet back in my main computer which is working perfectly, connects to the router and internet just fine, and am not sure what to do next. I don't know if this is a hardware issue which can be fixed by getting a non integrated network adapter or if it is something else software wise or with the router that will continue even if I spend the money on a new NIC. Nothing appears damaged with the ethernet port on the motherboard and as mentioned, when the ethernet cable is plugged into it, the lights act the same way as they do with my main desktop that works perfectly with it. Everything is still under warranty 30 days from the seller and I got a 3 year extended warranty too so worst case scenario I can RMA what I need to, but I am not sure if I need to or not.
*update- reset router to default factory settings and that also removed all devices from it not actively connected. No change.
Specs:
Case- Sharkoon VG4-W Mid Tower
Motherboard- MSI Z370-A PRO LGA1151(300 series)
CPU- Intel i5 8400
Memory- GeIL EVO SPEAR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4
HD- Silicon Power 2.5" 128GB SATA III TLC 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive
GPU- ASUS GeForce GTX 1050
PSU- CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE
OS- Windows Pro 64-bit

Edited by Joshbull623, 29 December 2017 - 10:00 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi :welcome:

Did you install the drivers provided by MSI for your Motherboard?

Visit https://www.msi.com/...driver&Win10 64(it seems they update the drivers yesterday...)

Install first the Intel Chipset Driver then the Lan Drivers for Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers followed by the other drivers provided on that page