Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to send emails using Mail after password change

Best Answer sue.words , 06 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for responding, JOCY777.I should have come back here to report that my problem has been solved.A friend suggested that I go to Internet Accounts in System Preferences and delete the BT In... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

This is (an edited version of) what I posted to Live Chat with BT this morning.

We have our telephone and broadband account with BT in my husband’s name and one of my email addresses is a BT Internet one. I also have a G Mail email address.

(Because of the difficulty of keeping track of my numerous passwords I use a password manager – lastpass.com.)

Please can you tell me whether BT expects me to have separate passwords for my BT email address and for our telephone and broadband account?

I have never been sure whether I should have one password or two for these two things, and, having had no guidance on this from BT, for a long time (at least six years, I think) I have had two. But from time to time I have been confronted by difficulty in deciding which of the two is wanted in a particular instance, and occasionally this has led to my being locked out of both our telephone and BB account and my email. I am currently in that position.

A BT advisor recommended that I have one password only for the two accounts. He phoned me and over the phone effected the necessary password change for me.

I was then able to access both accounts. But my emails were not coming through to Mail. So I went into System Preferences > Internet Accounts and changed the password there for my BT Internet email account and – eventually ­ emails arrived in my Inbox in Mail.

But I am still unable to send emails from Mail.

I keep on and on offering the new password whenever and wherever I get the opportunity and can’t think what else I can do.

Advertisements

JOCY777

JOCY777

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Can you reset the password?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you for responding, JOCY777.

I should have come back here to report that my problem has been solved.

A friend suggested that I go to Internet Accounts in System Preferences and delete the BT Internet email account, and then recreate it.

(I should have thought of this myself as on at least one occasion I did this successfully when I had the same problem with my iPad.)

Anyhow, I did do as my friend suggested and it worked.

But thank you again for taking an interest.