Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell inspiron 545 not starting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

misterdeath02

misterdeath02

• Pip
  • 3 posts

First of all, thank you for any help in advance.

My computer Dell Inspiron is not starting up. it has a green light in the back when the cord is plugged in. Before when i pressed the power button It would blink an amber light and startup after 5 seconds of holding, which was really annoying but better than nothing. But since yesterday nothing was working. It wouldn't start. I put it in a direct outlet and still no sign. I thought the PSU was gone bad so I tested it and it worked. I replaced the CMOS battery still nothing. When I opened my computer up there was an amber light on the motherboard which is apparently normal on google, not sure if it's correct or not. 
again thanks for any help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   misterdeath02,

My computer Dell Inspiron is not starting up.

Can you explain what you mean by not starting up, do the CPU and/or any other cooling fan spin up or do they remain still when you press the power on button.

misterdeath02

misterdeath02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:   misterdeath02,

My computer Dell Inspiron is not starting up.

Can you explain what you mean by not starting up, do the CPU and/or any other cooling fan spin up or do they remain still when you press the power on button.

like i press the button nothing happens no fans spinning no light on front panel nothings its just silence.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Try disconnecting the case power on button connection from the header on the MB and then using one of the methods below to see if the PSU and MB activate, 

IF your MB doesn`t have a power  test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, see attachment below.