Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suspicious files (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer mechanic , 01 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

It was you who informed me ,sorry!! I think everything is ok now as i said because their does`nt seem to be any problems with my computer that i am aware of at the moment. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mechanic

mechanic

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

I am a customer of plusnet and recently discovered i can get free antivirus from them from Mcafee.I downloaded it to my laptop and installed without a problem.When i tried to do the same with my desktop i ran into a problem.It would not instal.It suggested i run a prog from Mcafee called getsusp.I ran this and it said i have 8 suspicious files on my computer.I have run malwaresbyte,iobit malware,avast anti virus,avg antivirus,microsoft software removal tool and none show a problem.Can someone maybe point me in the direction i should go or suggest what to do next?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I have run malwaresbyte,iobit malware,avast anti virus,avg antivirus,microsoft software removal tool and none show a problem.

That is an awful lot of AV programs to have run, were they all correctly uninstalled before installing another AV.

In case you are not aware, Windows 10 has it`s own built in AV called Defender, you do not need any other.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks for the reply phillpower2.I only ran all the different av`s to try and see if they would find and possibly delete the suspicious files.I have downloaded the speccy prog you suggest and have ran it.When i tried to publish it i get a message saying "error connecting to publishing server".I have tried several times with the same result.I have uninstalled the prog and then downloaded again with the same result.The computer in question is a Dell 3268 desktop running windows 10 operating system.No changes have been made to the computer. The computer is still under warranty until the middle of next month.Hoping this helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you mechanic, busy couple of days  :(

Please save the Speccy results, edit out your Windows product key information and then upload your Speccy log for us if you will.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks for the reply phillpower2.Ihave been told that i don`t need to instal anti virus as w10 provide this.I was not aware of this. But i ran a programme that removes everything Mcafee,can`t remember what it was though.I then ran the getsup programme again and it flagged up 6 suspicious files this time ,mostly different from the previous ones .I then tried again to instal Mcafee anti virus and low and behold it installed.Having a look about the internet it seems that these "suspicious" files could be false positives? I am not having any issues that i am aware of with my computer.

Edited by mechanic, 01 May 2019 - 11:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
.I am running w10 and have discovered that i don`t need to instal anti virus as w10 provide this.

Was this before or after I informed you of this in my reply #2  :P

Levity apart, where are you up to with this, do you still need assistance.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
✓  Best Answer

It was you who informed me ,sorry!! I think everything is ok now as i said because their does`nt seem to be any problems with my computer that i am aware of at the moment.

Edited by mechanic, 01 May 2019 - 12:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries, was just jesting  :thumbsup:

If you are happy that things are all ok we can mark your thread as having been solved or if you like we can check for any AV orphan files that may have been left behind.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I will see how things go and keep you posted if things change?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem and in the nicest possible way all being well you will not need to come back to this thread  :thumbsup:

williamjoseph_lpa123

williamjoseph_lpa123

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Scan the whole system deeply and i am sure you will be able to find the 8 suspicious files.

mechanic

mechanic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks for the reply.I have purchased malwarebytes premium.

I have ran it and it does not show any problems.

Think this must have been false postives?