Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Risks in using BestBuy-type malware consultants

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I am about to have my Dell desktop Windows 10 PC "cleaned up" by a commercial group like Best Buys to eliminate junk and speed up operations. My setup includes 356 GB free of 430 GB of RAM hard drive and 440GB of 465GB of an externally connected aux hard drive. The sytem probably needs the clean up. And I am not nearly savvy enough to do the job myself.

I have several questions for knowledgable GtGers who understand what it is that people like Best Buy do.

a. In general, do these Best Buy-type geeks do an effective job?

b. I have some concern that the clean-up itself might expose some of my sensitive files ---like bank account numbers and passwords --- to crooked Best Buy employees or to their dishonest associates. Is that a legitimate worry? If so, then how I wonder is Best Buy able to attract customers. In fact, does anyone know how rampant or not is such dishonesty?

c. Is there anything I can do to prevent such disclosure of sensitive material?

Thanks much for your opinion.

batpark

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Some Bestbuy reviews here,

https://www.bestbuy....year/1050017348

And

https://www.consumer...il/best_buy.htm