Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Browser dropouts especially on startup & eventviewer proble

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Make & model of Printer?

I'll have to look up the manual for it but on my Brother you can hit Menu then scroll down to Network.  When you get to Network and hit OK there are more options to scroll down.  TCP/IP I think is where you assign the static IP address.  You have to assign it.  Normally it gets it from the router via DHCP.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

HP Envy 5640

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

See Chapter 7 Page 62 of:

http://h10032.www1.h...anual/c04421686

If you do an

ipconfig

from an elevated Command Prompt you will see the Default gateway as well as your PC's assigned IP Address (ipv4) and the mask (almost always 255.255.255.0)

The Default Gateway is the IP address of your router.  Usually 192.168. 0 (or 1) .1   Normally it is also the DHCP server and will assign addresses from 2 up so your PC will have a fairly low number.  Numbers up to 254 can be used so pick a static IP address for the printer that is not in the lower range so unlikely to be assigned by DHCP.  (It's possible to tell the router to assign a smaller range but that's more work.)  I use .50  since I will never have 50 devices connected to the LAN and it's easy to remember.  Use the same default gateway and mask when you set up the printer.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I found the port for printer but adding printer, then clicking 'not listed' then entering e.g. 192.168.0.12, but it doesn't find it. But I can access printer settings page via its ip address by entering it in browser

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I've managed to disable all media streaming. So IF for some reason the ip setup method doesn't work, is leaving Network Discovery turned on dangerous? Can hackers exploit it to enter my computer?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If you install Tiny Wall it should give you the ability to just let 192.168.0.12 talk to your pc.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

How do I migrate the my windows firewall rules into TinyWall?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Don't think it's automatic.  Probably have to look at the list (In FRST's addition.txt) and then whitelist by application.)  Read through the FAQ so you know what to expect.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

How do I setup the ip restriction of my printer in tinywall?

Right now my printerspooler service is unblocked, but I don't know how to restrict the ip range. Everything in Tinywall is either UDP or TCP

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Believe network printers use TCP (with a range of ports 49152 – 65535).  IP address would be whatever you have set on the printer.

Advertisements

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

I know what the ip address is, but I'm asking how to enter it into tinywall.

Also, I've enabled exception for vpn, but I can't get tinywall to allow it. Tinywall allows it only when in Learn mode, but afterward none of the modes even turning off or closing tinywall allows vpn to stay connected

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You can't whitelist by Process?

If you don't know what processes are doing the printing you can get tcpview

https://live.sysinte...com/Tcpview.exe

Download, Save and then run it by right clicking and Run As Admin.

Make sure there aren't any items checked under Options.

Close your browser to reduce the number of connections then print something.  You should see what process talks to the printer if you look for its IP in the Remote Address column.

You should be able to use the same procedure to find what your VPN is doing.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

RE Printer: the 2 relevant processes and their remote addresses:

HPNetworkCommunicatorCom.exe shows "0"

spoolsv.exe shows my computer's name.

I've managed to whitelist the printing to work, but I don't know how to restrict its tinywall policy to the printer's ip address because tinywall doesn't have a field where I can enter an ip address.

Edited by phickspc, 10 January 2020 - 02:55 PM.

hmp3

hmp3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

RE VPN:

I found a TCP connection but right-click options don't yield a process name

[System Process]        0        TCP        mypcname.home        icslap        routername.home  4###6    TIME_WAIT   

Also found some svchost.exe but it's hard to identify them using tinywall since so many svchost.exe are running at same time.

Edited by phickspc, 10 January 2020 - 03:05 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Go into Options and uncheck everything.  Then when you close your browser and wait for the Time Waits to go away it looks like this:

AvastSvc.exe    3192    TCP    192.168.1.100    49738    77.234.42.39    80    ESTABLISHED    13    3,926    29    16,946                     
svchost.exe    4076    TCP    192.168.1.100    50914    52.230.222.68    443    ESTABLISHED    8    2,532    10    4,600                          

If I remember correctly new connections are yellow highlighted and closing ones are red.      Anything with a 0 PID is run by System.  Time Waits will drop out after a while.           Printer should connect to a high port number    Port  80 is a standard http connection.  443 is encrypted https