Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean instal issue with BIOS

Windows issue

• Please log in to reply

gracie100

gracie100

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi There,

I wonder if someone can help I am not a techie hence i need someone who is good !  I have a Samsung computer which i updated to windows 10 but was then told by Samsung when i was having issues that 10 is not good for this computer as they have failed to invent a patch to make it fully compatible.

I then got on to Microsoft and they helped me get back to windows 8 via an install but then i had issues updating to Windows 8.1 updates just would not work despite trying all the usual troubleshooting solutions.

So I now have a copy of Windows 7 on my USB and was told to do a clean install via BIOS however i cannot get into USB mode in BIOS I have taken a photo of what i get and not usual Boot options, I believe the clean instal is probably Windows 7 and then i will go up again to 8.1.

I need some help with this please and how to do a clean install from USB when the I only get the following options in Boot menu.  See all attached IMG 4811 is shot of BIOS and other one is usb key with windows to do clean install

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4811.JPG
  • Screenshot (10).png

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If I was you I would forget about Windows 7 and install Windows 8.1 if the machine was purchased with Windows 8 if not you will need a license!

You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft https://www.microsof...wnload/windows8 don't worry about the license because its on the BIOS/UEFI of the machine when the manufacture provided the Operating System.

About your image you probably need to look for the Secure Boot option and disable that because in many machines with Secure Boot enabled it will not boot from anything besides the internal HDD.

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I believe it was purchased with 8 i bought it in 2015 brand new from shop so should be Windows 8? I need to do a clean instal of Windows im told and they gave me windows 7 for some reasion i believe to update from there, however i now have a copy of a mirror image of 8.1 they gave me on my desktop, can you explain how to change the boot in more detail? I would really appreciate that.

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Really what i need is the best way forward....i have windows 8 on system at moment but unable to work any of the updates to get 8.1

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

They consistently fail hence why they suggested clean isntall?

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Actually it says its on windows 8.1 but fails to update have tried so many things obviously want to update...cant use windows 10 on this samsung as compatability issues Samsung havent got a fix for as lazy!

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Should the BIOS look like it does?

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (11).png

Edited by gracie100, 27 December 2019 - 05:05 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
If the machine is running Windows 8.1 then we can work on the Windows Update problem and see if we can fix it without doing the reinstall...

Lets run a System Check...

Press windows8_key.png + X and click Open Command Prompt (Admin)
type:
sfc /scannow
if it doesn't say "No integrity violations found" them do this:

Export the CBS folder
  • Click the Start button 20_iconfinder_windows_401326.png then click Computer.
  • Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Attach this to your next post please, if the file is too big to attach please upload to this site ge.tt and post the sharing URL

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

okay i will do this now had to have break!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (16).png

Edited by gracie100, 27 December 2019 - 09:48 AM.

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

thanks in advance sleepy dude this is whats running

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (14).png

Edited by gracie100, 27 December 2019 - 09:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hope you don`t mind me chiming in folks  :)

gracie100

In addition to what SleepyDude has asked that you do, can you post the model name and number of the Samsung notebook that you have so some research can be done.

Fwiw, I feel that what Samsung told you is absolute nonsense and that it is more of a case that there is no money in it for them so they won`t help you, I use a twelve year old Sony notebook running Windows 10 and it works without issue, your Samsung that shipped with 8.1 should have no issues with running Windows 10, it may take a clean install of Windows 10 itself rather than an in place upgrade.

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

ok great its a Samsung NP350V5C-A06 any help grteatly received have spent days and days trying to resolve maybe i should restore factory settings and go straight to 10....i wanted to run Adobe Creative cloud but Samsung said issue with windows 10...and graphics its i7!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot (12).jpg

gracie100

gracie100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

thanks in advance sleepy dude

I have run the 1st Command prompt and it said there were no problems....

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

thanks in advance sleepy dude

I have run the 1st Command prompt and it said there were no problems....

Ok, next

Press windows8_key.png + X and click Open Command Prompt (Admin)
type first:

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

second:

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Let me know the result of both commands.