Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB port caused shutdown and reboot cycle

computer not powering up post recycling usb short

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dpraptor

dpraptor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Home Forums > Software & Hardware > Hardware >

Hello, Hogweed! To post a question, please visit the Forums to view a list of available categories. You can also click here to view our Guide for New Members.

USB port caused shutdown and reboot cycle.
Hogweed

Hi,
  1. I have a serious problem with my PC. I just built it a few months ago and it has been working great. The case is the NZXT 510 with an AORUS Z390 motherboard (i7-8700k CPU). At the top of the PC is the power switch, and next to that is a USB 3.0 port. A while ago I had tried to power a vape pen (I thought PC USB's would work for a USB charger?), and it returned an error about a power mismatch.
    I left it alone after that, there were no problems.

Today, I was at my computer and I decided to try and plug my USB to recharge my phone (I havent use that port since that time with the battery charger), and when I was attempting to push the USB in (it gave me some trouble, I was sitting and not looking at it), suddenly the screen froze. I held the power button until it shut off. When I tried to power up, it started to wind up, and my hard drive started to as well. After about 10 seconds, it shut off. After 5 of so seconds, it powered itself on again, and and again, began to wind up along with the harddrive, then shut off after 8-10 seconds. There was nothing on the monitor, no bios or booting info.

I looked at the USB port and was confused with what I saw. It looked damaged, I have a pic below. I went into the PC and followed the cable and unplugged the port from the motherboard (image below), but the same problem happened again. Does that matter if I dont have that plugged in? If I replace the part I need, can I leave it unplugged, it only seems to be for that one port next to the power button..

I have these pictures below as to what the USB port looked like, I am guessing it might have shorted something, any help in what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I thought I will have to replace the motherboard, and the power switch, since that is one piece with the USB Port. (pictured).

This is the top power button and the USB Port, and what it looked like.

https://i.imgur.com/oJPZIpD.jpg

Closeup
    https://i.imgur.com/eECPU9J.jpg

The USB cable I unplugged from the motherboard

https://i.imgur.com/bnEKp3X.jpg

This is the part I guess I will have to replace.

https://i.imgur.com/8J64at8.jpg

If anyone knows anything about what I did and the power cycling, and the best course of action I would be very appreciative.

Edit by phillpower2: Removed links to alternative tech forum.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
dpraptor

Can I ask why you have copy/paste the content from another tech forum and post it here.

dpraptor

dpraptor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I wanted to get this to a few sites, not sure if anyone was going to respond. I doubted anyone can help with this issue. Does that matter if I copied it or just retyped it?

I am not sure if that really mattered, I need to get some kind of idea what to do, and was hoping that by spreading to as many tech support forum as I could, I may get a response that can be used.

Let me know if you need me to change anything or even delete the post.

Thanks

Edit:  ahh, I saw that you removed links that obviously should not have been in this post. Very sorry about that! I was kind of in a state of panic as I was writing and posting that, I will certainty be more careful in the future.

Edited by dpraptor, 16 January 2020 - 08:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No worries, we understand that computer issues can be stressful but trying to follow the guidance of more than one forum can lead to confusion as to whose and what guidance you are following which can be both dangerous and costly and that is why forums recommend avoiding it.

Looking at the attached pics I would be inclined to agree in your assessment that something may have or is possibly still shorting out.

Disconnecting the cable that you have would not prevent the computer from booting if it is only for the front USB 3.0 ports.

If you wish to continue with assistance here, can you post the brand and model name or number for the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU so we can provide some troubleshooting steps for you.

Edit to add: dpraptor not replying suggests that they are continuing elsewhere, this thread locked accordingly.