Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer screen has suddenly shrunk (Resolved).

Best Answer scarlet.rose , 30 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to search for the compatible driver download and give me those instructions phillpower2. You are very kind. I was about to write that I have just complete... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Yes, very good prices. I will consider.

The cpu fan failed in 2017. As mentioned before I do have a brand new replacement.

The computer has lasted a long time!

Thank you for your support, it's much appreciated at this stressful time.

One thing, above all others, that will make me miserable - being without a computer!

Edited by scarlet.rose, 31 May 2020 - 06:16 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
One thing, above all others, that will make me miserable - being without a computer!

Best course of action is to replace the one that you have now, even if it were able to be salvaged the costs would be astronomical compared to an out of the box new computer.

You are welcome btw  :)

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Checking as fast as I can that I have everything I need off this computer.

What is the Dell monitor that I have please? Dell Dimension 8100 desktop

Wondering if any are on sale. Probably cost a lot though.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 31 May 2020 - 07:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Sorry but why do you ask about replacing the monitor with the same model, you are talking redundant tech but fwiw there is a used one here note the price of the shipping costs

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

BTW, often you can get a free computer from people who upgrade their computer. Often people think that they need a bigger, better, faster computer, but often that isn't the case. The computer I am using is older, works well and I got it free.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

phillpower2 - Thank you for looking into that............the monitor is in the US - the shipping costs would be too much, the seller would need to be in the UK, even then would probably be a lot unless seller was local and I could pick up.

I asked because Kemasa suggested getting a used monitor and I am looking at all options. A modern monitor wouldn't be compatible would it? I keep old with old.

I know what I want but can't afford it, so looking for easiest way.

Kemasa - Thank you for your help, it is appreciated. I searched and found this: "Freecycle.org offers a free way to connect with people in your community who might be willing to give you a computer that they no longer use."

I have not yet checked the video cable - will take it out and put back after I have turned off the computer later........and maybe its life. :(

Edited by scarlet.rose, 31 May 2020 - 10:42 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

A new monitor may work with your computer. What matters with the new monitors, LED/LCD is whether your video card works at the native resolution of the monitor. Unless your video card is really old, it is likely to work. It can still work if it doesn't match the native resolution, but then the quality might not be good. As well, you need to make sure that the monitor has the correct input for your computer.

As a side note, many newer TVs can also be used a monitor as they have inputs for computers, but you need to make sure that it has the correct input as the really new TVs tend to only have HDMI, which your computer likely doesn't have. While my computer is old, it works to display on a TV at 1080p.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello folks,

The computer only has a VGA port and with such minimal specs would not support anything more than the present type of monitor I`m afraid, as mentioned previously these mounting issues are a warning sign that the computer is on the way out and there are no cost effective repairs or replacement parts available.

Freecycle or a refurb are your two best options scarlet.rose

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

VGA or SVGA?

My computer only has a SVGA port and it works well on a 1080P TV monitor at the native resolution.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for your advice.

Been looking at PC World.......... I have the voucher to help.

Would need to quickly save.

Want Windows..........just for basic computing. SSD? Added some info from Amazon.

https://www.currys.c...203298-pdt.html

https://www.currys.c...193674-pdt.html

https://www.amazon.c...1_t1_B07WPXTMJ8

Edited by scarlet.rose, 31 May 2020 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Kemasa,

The computer has a VGA port and uses RDRAM

scarlet.rose;

AIOs are ok for your intended use.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Update......

Don't like the no optical / CD drive in

the computers I showed you

- don't want to add parts.

Can barely see anything.

Screen has shrunk again...

Distorted / parts are not viewable.

Cutting out completely,

going black then returning.

I will look at getting

a refurbished computer

or a new one.

I have to use that £200 voucher

by next April - expires.

Feeling stressed - this will

completely fail at any minute,

which means I won't have a

computer to search / buy with.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 01 June 2020 - 05:16 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Wish we were able to weave some sort of magic for you but unfortunately we can`t, prices are what they are at PCWorld I`m afraid and unfortunately your voucher will not cover the cost of what you require  :(

What about contacting Freecycle to see if you are able to acquire a screen with a VGA port, there are still plenty of them around and many are the flat screen type.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I can manage another £200 on top of the voucher.

I may purchase the new PC World Lenova
computer, which is currently out of stock. This costs a lot

less than I expected.

Is it normal for new computers to not have an
optical drive now?

What I meant is I need to search and look
properly but can't, the screen is so distorted and
keeps shutting down.

Good idea: "What about contacting Freecycle to see if you are able to acquire a screen with a VGA port, there are still plenty of them around and many are the flat screen type."

If the computer lasts long enough for me to do it!

Update - My local Freecycle group have suspended
posts due to the pandemic.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 01 June 2020 - 01:03 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If the computer doesn't have an optical drive, you can get an external one fairly cheap typically which attaches by USB or other means.

If there is a thrift store nearby, check to see if they have a monitor, talk them down, whatever the price they are asking.

If you have a TV, especially a smaller one, check to see if it has a VGA port.

Besides freecycle, there is reuseit, freesharing and others, depending on the area.