Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

They're in a folfer on my C drive on my desktop & i also have them on my Spinner drive 'D'

Edited by gpl98a1, 30 January 2021 - 12:59 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's GOOD.   Windows Backup saves only the user and public folders on the OS drive, (usually C:),  so just making sure the special picture folder would be included.   Please bookmark the tutorials, any questions?

First job is to set up file history to save your Data, read right though before starting.    

Complete this before moving on. > https://www.windowsc...back-your-files

Second, is to create a drive image before we attempt a Windows activation again. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I have read the above & performed the tasks, i also bookmarked the links - thank you

I have probably doubled up on most of the pictures, i'll probably have to go through them in my own time to delete the dupluicates, it's a horrible task & will take some time so i'll do it gradually, then i'll do another backup

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, got it.

Try now to activate Windows.

Follow these steps first, then post back.

To access this exception path, select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t resolve the issue, you’ll see a link to reactivate after a hardware change. Select it to follow this path. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I got that far before & it threw the screen below up, i need to look for that tablet & TBH i've no idea where it is, Is it sending a confirmation code to that device?

Reactivation.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 30 January 2021 - 08:17 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Don't know if it is sending to the tablet.

Log into your Microsoft account, look for your device and see if there is a way to find the product key. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Well i got logged on & the tablet isn't even registered on my account, that's weird! (i think?)

Says there are no issues with this PC either & i can't see any product key, then again i'm thinking i might not see a product key as the it never accepted the one i entered from my last Dell PC - i still have a screenshot of the W10 key we got from the old Dell PC if that helps?

MS acc.jpg

MS acc2.jpg

ms acc3.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you looked in "review your recent orders"?   Have you tried the box, "get help online? If no luck, close out of your account.

Go through activation again and when you get to the screen shown in post #215, tick the box, "this is the device I am using now".   any results, can you move on from there?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

OMG!! That seems to have worked!!!! :yeah: xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.eirqpQ-YRb.pn

Nothing in 'Review recent orders'

'Get help online' seemed useless

But i ticked the box & it then said the copy has now been activated!!!!! Yippy skippy!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

INCREDABLE.

Check that it is activated then use that key finder and see if it comes up with a different key than the one you save, ages ago. 

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yup  - Activation seems to be ok & the product key is the same

Activation.jpg

W10key - Copy.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Great result.   We now need to adjust some settings in Dragon Centre and sort out Mystic Lights.

If you have not already got it, download the user Guide, > https://www.msi.com/...driver&Win10 64

in the middle of the screen, under NOTE > Dragon Centre User Guide > click.

Please have a read though as there is a huge amount of info, when ready, start Dragon Centre,

In the left menu > click My devices > take a screenshot and upload > close.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry, time is running away with me atthe minute.

I have opened the MSI link a couple of times now & i'm probably going to look very silly asking this but i cannot see anywhere it says 'NOTE' in the middle of the screen, i can see 'MANUAL'  which opens up 3 options, do i just download one of those?

MSI.jpg

MSI2.jpg

My Devices.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No rush with anything.

The link I sent seems to go to the main page, not the place I ended up at, displayed on my desktop. 

Go again, > https://www.msi.com/...driver&Win10 64

on the right, > click Utility.

From the drop down menu, > select W10  64.

In the middle of the window that open, just under note, Dragon Center User Guide (Click)  > click on (click)

You will then view the guide in PDF reader (on the site)

To download and save the quide on your computer, > click the down arrow at top right. 

When you start Dragon Centre.

At the top, > click the Devices down arrow > take a screenshot.

If you have not already done so, I recommend you Register your product.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you - the manual has been downloaded & saved

When i open my Dragon Centre there are 2 drop down boxes at the top of my home page, 1 to log out & the other is performance related

I went into a 'device' option on the LHS & took a screenshot of that, my product has been registered with them

MSI.jpg

MSI1.jpg