Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 10/win 7 dual boot - major problems again

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I have not, we are in lock-down here still so getting a new usb is a bit problematic since stores can only sell foods and necessities (you can't even buy underwear!).  I am going to try tomorrow to borrow one from a friend.  I have the original one I used but I need a second one.  I know that in Australia you folks are out of lock-down, right?  Sorry about the hold up!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, just thought I missed something.

Hope your lock down doesn't last too long.   We were OK till last week, then a break out in Melbourne with the Indian variant, so VIC is in lockdown and most state borders are closed; here, QLD, no restrictions to date.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

This post is just information about the boot process implamented using Macrim.

Depending on which OS is set to boot first.   In both cases, if you move the mouse when the final boot screen is shown, the process is paused until you make an OS choice and press enter.

Default Boot to W10/8.1.8. after you start/restart.

You have 3 seconds to use the F key=Boot manager in case you want to select DVD rom, USB.

A Windows logo is displayed for about 3 seconds.

A GUI Boot screen is displayed, default OS at the top, (you can alter the time of how long it is displayed) second down is the next OS, third down is the MR System Recover.

Underneath is a link to Options. 

Default boot to W7 and earlyer.

You have 3 seconds to use the F key

A Text based Boot screen is displayed, default OS at the top, (timeout is fixed) second down is the next OS, third down is the MR System Recover.

Underneath is Tools.

You need to use the TAB key and Arrows to navigate. I find this interface has less choices and is less friendly to use. 

I have some screen shots, but for some reason am unable to upload them, investigating. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Should I redo the win 7 rescue media that I have already made as well as the new Win 10 rescue media?

I am going to start that process tonight.

EDIT : ok here is the update.  UGGGGGG!

• I went to win 10 
  • updated Macrium reflect
  • used my 32 gig USB to make the rescue media

Ok, grrrr.  I was checking my storage drive and it said I couldn't delete a file because I didn't have permission.  I didn't think anything of it.  

• I rebooted 
  • Put in the rescue USB
  • Didn't work - going to have to try another USB
  • On boot to Win 10, it asked if I wanted to check for errors on the Storage drive

So it seems that Win 7 can see and access the Storage drive - but when Win 10 tries to, it gives that issue of checking the drive for errors.

I am going to have to wait until this weekend to get another USB to try the macrium reflect rescue media again.

Edited by netrate, 10 June 2021 - 09:57 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you relocated any of your user folders, ie, Docs, Pics etc, from the OS drive to the D storage drive? or installed any program to the D drive?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, it was what I thought, fairly innocent behaviour.  I had a video file on my D drive (storage  : faith) and I had the same video file on the Win 10 drive (one of the partitions on the 500gig SAMSUNG win 10 drive).  So I went to delete the file from the D storage drive. It wouldn't delete it - it instead said : 

"you do not have permission", so I left it.

I hope I haven't screwed things up.

FYI when I boot to Win 10, I click "press any key to stop the check", I have not let to run through the check.

Win 7 DOES NOT ask for the check for errors - only Win 10.

On a more positive note : I finally got the Win 10 rescue media USB to work

Do you want me to make a brand new Win 7 rescue media as well -- or just use the old one I created about 3 weeks ago?  

At this point, I will have two separate rescue USB's  - one for Win 7 and one for Win 10.

Edited by netrate, 10 June 2021 - 05:39 PM.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

let me know how I should proceed or if I have messed things up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You did not answer my question from my last post.

"Have you relocated any of your user folders, ie, Docs, Pics etc, from the OS drive to the D storage drive? or installed any program to the D drive?"

My best guess for "you do not have permission" is the same video was also on the W7, and you saved it to D from there, so from W10 you do not have ownership of the file.

Try deleting it again and when you get permission denied, there should be a a dialogue at the bottom, continue anyway, try it. 

No, do not create a new W7 RE usb, save both you have to one side. 

----------------------------------------------

Your next step getting ready to  dual Boot. 

First 

You will need to create a new rescue USB so that drivers for both OSs and MBR configuration can be saved. Use a new USB stick.

Connect W10+W7+D drives.

1.   Using the F key, > Boot to W10 > start MR > if there is a software update, download and install then start MR again.

2.   Insert  the new USB Stick.

3.   Click Create Rescue icon > in the destination options, click USB.

3.   Look in the top right hand window, if it says OK, click the Build button.   If it does not say OK,  there is an update available, > click Install, wait, > (if there is another, do the same) when it               changes to OK, > at the bottom click the Build button, wait. 

4.   When you see success > click OK > close all open windows. 

5.   To check the stick works > Restart > use F12 and boot to the RE USB. If OK.

6.   At the bottom left, > click the MR power button > select Shut down > click OK.

7.   After shut down, Disconnect the W10 drive > remove the RE USB stick, >  carry on as normal.

Post back results.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

No, I haven't installed anything to the D drive or relocated anything to that drive.

I will follow your steps and report back.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, followed your instructions.

1) connected both drives

2) booted to win 10 (I had to use the Bios to change the priority to win 10, I wasn't sure how to do that with F12 to select the win 10 drive)

3) once booted to win 10, updated macrium and built a NEW rescue USB

4) shut down after completed usb rescue

5) rebooted to the rescue usb using F12

6) it worked, MR rescue screen came up.  Then I shut down via MR shutdown

7) disconnected win 10 and rebooted to win 7

NOTE : when both drives were connected and I booted to the Win 10, it asked me to check for errors on the D FAITH storage drive again.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good job with the RE usb.   We will leave check disk until dual boot is finished.

When you use F12, is a list of disks displayed that you can choose from?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

This is the default with F12 (attached)

When I am booting with Win 10 set as the primary drive -  - the win 10 logo comes up and then it asks whether I want to boot win 7 or win 10

When I am booting with Win 7 set as the primary drive, it asks whether I want to boot win 7 or win 10

Attached Thumbnails

• bios default.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the pic, so F12 is only really good for selecting a USB as there is no details next to the starred Hard Disk

Have I got this right?

When you start the computer, the first screen displayed is the F12 (for a few seconds) then a Windows 10 Logo  (or W7) with a choice for the other OS.?

Can you upload a pic?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

No, sorry.  When I start, the first screen is the Win 7 / Win 10 choice. 

Here it is :

Attached Thumbnails

• dual boot.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Got it.   You have got Windows boot manager as default.   So that's only 1 (press enter) or 2 (select OS, press enter) steps to get to an OS.

That is exactly the same final screen you get with MR as the Boot manager when W7 is the first choice.  

MR Boot is longer, you get 1, option to press F key, (3 seconds), 2, Windows Logo, (3 or 4 seconds while MR boot is loaded) 3, Text screen (like you posted)  then, press enter or select other OS, press enter. 

You can leave Booting as is, or still set up MR Booting, what you thing?