Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Telegram Desktop converts a paste into an attachment

• Please log in to reply

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I can not just trigger the greyed-out 'Apply to folders' at will, so I can not give you a specific answer; I can only say that it has often irked me that in 'later' versions of Windows, that option is often greyed out, and so I see icons for folders instead of textual 'details' - I can set DETAILS for a specific folder, but cannot generalise that view to 'all'; It was very much opportunism for me to raise this issue as a 'thorn in my side', without it being a CURRENT issue; since you have displayed such a profound knowledge of Windows.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Next time it happens  give me the Type (from Folder Properties, Customize) and the full path including drive letter.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Six hours after setting the dirty bit and then triggering checkdisk, the screen displayed 'Scanning and repairing Drive C:\ 100% done'. On C:\ there were no tell-tale 'found.###' files, nor any other sign of its overnight labours.

As for misbehaviour of THIS PC, it can be there one minute and the next, it is gone; seems utterly random.

It's been a long thread and I can not remember if I have told you that the misbehaviour is quite specific to THIS PC; if I open File Explorer in a view that is NOT 'THIS PC'

I CAN access the items which the misbehaviour prevents in THIS PC.

I'll be on the lookout for a greyed-out 'Apply to folders'  box in the Folder Options box to report to you.

I have just come across another odd phenomenon - not on MY computer, but on the PC of someone I help though TeamViewer.

I feel I have reached the limit of my transgressions here in starting new threads on a now obsolete opening post.

But I would like to keep open the channel of communication with YOU - is there a way I can start a new thread, but with YOU ?

Edited by Basty, 13 April 2021 - 04:40 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You can check the event log for the results from the chkdsk:

https://askleo.com/h...at_ran_on_boot/

Look down where it says: 

Using Event Viewer to Find Chkdsk Results

You can start a new thread and just put "for rkinner"  in the title.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

The jury has reached its verdict - as displayed in the attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskScan.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Can I see a new VEW log?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I had noticed that that booting difficulties could be remedied by pressing the Data cable into the SSD - suggested to me that contact there was not optimal, so replaced the data cable with a newer one - hopefully better.

Just before running the VEW, I tested THIS PC - it gave a full complement of entries in the right pane  - even showed one for the modem, and gave its 'description' - something that had not been happening recently.

Once again - have to defer the attachment (of VEW)  till a new post...

Edited by Basty, 15 April 2021 - 10:50 PM.

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Here's VEW

Attached Files

• Attached File  VEW.txt   34.74KB   166 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

VEW looks pretty good.  Perhaps the SATA cable was the source of your problem.  

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

The mystery persists - the new data cable - straight from the shop, wasted no time in reproducing the problems of the 'old' cable; Earlier I had replaced the SSD in the hope of getting a more secure connection to the data cable, So I have tried both - a new SSD and a new cable, but the need to press the cable into the SSD still arises.

That of course is a separate problem to the misbehaviour of THIS PC - and those two issues may or may not be related.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps a different brand of cable or perhaps you can use a rubber band to hold the cable in place?

Basty

Basty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Yes, I could and have.

Edited by Basty, 16 April 2021 - 02:06 PM.