Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ONE DRIVE...Keep or Delete?

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Recently, someone told me I should be deleting my ONE  DRIVE app in Win10 because basically it acts as a data miner for Microsoft...is  this the case?  Pros vs. Cons..please comment ...thanks (in advance)guys...you are always a wealth of knowledge for me.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello,

I don't have an opinion, but i did come across a few things for you to read, that i also found interesting.

Data stored on OneDrive is subject to monitoring by Microsoft, and any content that is in violation of Microsoft's Code of Conduct is subject to removal and may lead to temporary or permanent shutdown of the account. This has led to privacy concerns in relation to data stored on OneDrive. Microsoft has responded by indicating that "strict internal policies [are] in place to limit access to a user’s data", and that advanced mechanisms, such as Microsoft's automated PhotoDNA scanning tool, are utilized to ensure users abide with the Code of Conduct and that their account does not contain files in contravention thereof, such as partial human nudity (including art or drawings), or any online surveys.

More

https://tresorit.com...privacy-policy/

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Are there any other comments out there as I am confused as to EXACTLY what this ONE DRIVE is and why it would be a good idea to keep.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 12 March 2021 - 10:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

I won`t use it and for the very reasons that are explained at the link that zep post above, decent folk have nothing to hide but personal is personal and big tech companies have no right to go there, just disable it, you will find that the computer should start up and shut down marginally quicker once OneDrive has been disabled, nothing lightening fast but an improvement.

As an asides, if you already have a good back up regime such as using external USB HDDs or you use the Cloud that would be another good reason not to have OneDrive active.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

How paranoid are you about your information? Personally, I use google drive for holding my Scouting info for access to some files while away from my main computer.

I also have a good back up plan to other hard drives of my data and creation of images.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,122 posts

I use OneDrive, and along with OneNote is a useful tool for my every-day's activities. Actually OneNote is the main notebook I use now.

Of course I have a backup of my files, but in OneDrive I save my current files (let's say those I work on for the month). I have the option for the files to be saved in both the cloud (OneDrive actually) and my computer, and I can have access to them from any device I use. At the end of the month, I remove the finished projects from OneDrive and go on with the new ones.

https://techcommunit...100001835583933

In the event you have important or confidential documents stored on OneDrive, you may want to consider using Personal Vault to add extra protection to those files. Learn more about Personal Vault in Protect your OneDrive files in Personal Vault - OneDrive (home or personal).

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

How paranoid are you about your information? Personally, I use google drive for holding my Scouting info for access to some files while away from my main computer.

I also have a good back up plan to other hard drives of my data and creation of images.

Maybe she is really desperate to know the answer...  :yeah:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

The OP is so desperate that they have not replied for two weeks buddywiser  :headscratch: