Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resetting password without admin access, possible?

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 May 2021 - 04:54 AM

A1: Being a notebook the exact same new MB would have to be used so all the same drivers etc will already be on your storage device and Windows would not need to be clean installed. A2: Access... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

reny410

reny410

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

My ASUS laptop, windows 10 home 64 bit, just got back from servicing (I was having issue with display turning off randomly).
They claimed that they replaced the motherboard, when I asked them if they reinstalled windows, they said no.

When I logged in to my windows, I still have my user with the old files, but my password is gone. (I never gave them admin access)
Is this even possible at all?

Why I am suspicious: 

1. I don't think it's possible to replace motherboard without reinstalling windows.
2. How could they remove my password? it means they could have logged on to my user account with admin access.

Edited by reny410, 07 May 2021 - 04:02 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
✓  Best Answer

A1: Being a notebook the exact same new MB would have to be used so all the same drivers etc will already be on your storage device and Windows would not need to be clean installed.

A2: Accessing Windows without your password is possible by a person with the required knowledge but I have to ask you, why would they do something so inane as remove your password, it serves no purpose, you don`t need Windows to be able to tamper with data stored on a HDD or SSD.