Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ransomware? [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jeris

Jeris

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Aloha, I am not able to log in to my computer. At the login screen something seems to be blocking my ability to access the pin login to windows. Please help.

Advertisements

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts
Hi, Jeris.

Welcome back!

Can you please take a photo of what you see and attach it for us?

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hi Dr M!

I am so glad to see you again, albeit under these circumstances.  LOL

Surely you could help me with this pickle that I've gotten myself into.  Im attaching the pic as we speak.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts
Just letting you know that right now it’s midnight so I will be back to you tomorrow.

Don’t forget to attach the photo.

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
https://photos.app.g...aqGg6y3CZewWBJ9

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Doc, it seems that my login screen is different with slightly different icons and they all do not work.  The eye icon at the top for example looks different and doesnt recognise my face anymore.  =(

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts
It’s difficult to read what it says. Is it the warning/error you are getting? I would like to see what you described in your first post, that something blocks your sign in efforts. Can you try once more so the resolution will be better?

Jeris

Jeris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Sorry, I am just assuming; that is, it seems to be something blocking my attempt to log on.  There appears to be an extra layer on my login screen that prevents me from entering my PIN or recognizing my face in order to login to my computer.  Does this make sense to you?  I'm sorry its hard for me to explain.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts
S o you can go to the screen where you are asked to insert the pin but you can’t write in the blank area?

Something else before going to bed: what makes you think it’s ransomware? Or malware?

See you tomorrow.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Jeris.

With my questions above still pending, please try if you can sign in with Safe Mode.

• Start by shutting down your computer.
  • Press on the power button on the case to turn it on.
  • After the computer is about 3 - 5 seconds into the boot-up process, hold down the power button to shut down the computer.
  • Repeat the above process once again.
  • For the third time, turn on the computer and allow it to boot up.
  • If you completed the process correctly, a message saying "Preparing Automatic Repair" should appear.
  • In a few seconds, another message will appear stating "Diagnosing your PC" and Automatic Repair will open.
  • When you reach the Automatic Repair screen, click on "Advanced Options."
  • At the next screen, select "Troubleshoot."
  • When you see the next screen, select "Advanced Options."
  • Select "Startup Settings", then "Restart".
  • After the Startup Settings window appears, hit the "4" key on the keyboard (Safe mode with networking).
  • At the next login prompt screen, enter your password for your computer.
  • If the Safe Mode opens properly, the desktop should appear with "Safe Mode" in each corner of the desktop.

Let me know if you were able to access Safe Mode.

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Hi, Jeris.

Are you still with me?

DR M

DR M

The Grecian Geek

• Malware Removal
  • 4,053 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

Jeris, if you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member, or send me a personal message (hoover with the mouse on my profile name and choose Send message).

This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.