Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgradeing the cpu and adding a solid state drive

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 August 2023 - 10:18 AM

Shame about the battery which I did not check btw as gaming laptops have to be permanently connected to the mains because the batteries are not good enough to power the dedicated GPU without the Wi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

hatkins

hatkins

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi I have an old laptop and I've upgraded the memory with help from this site and now id like to upgrade the CPU and add a SSD please advise me what I need to do. I would attempt it by myself but i worry about compatibility. Thanks for any help given in advance. Hatkins

Advertisements

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Here's a speccy report

http://speccy.pirifo...5GIP17UU3aUkwAo

is this hard drive compatible https://uk.crucial.c...ct1000mx500ssd1

Edited by hatkins, 01 August 2023 - 05:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
 I have an old laptop

We need the exact model name or model number + the serial number, this info may well be found on the base of the notebook.

Swapping in an SSD should be fine and we will get to that after we have determined if a CPU upgrade is possible, in case you are not aware, some notebook CPUs are soldered into the CPU socket on the MB and are not end user upgradeable or a financially viable option when it comes to paying a tech to do the job.

Two other considerations, the CPU socket must be compatible with the wattage any new CPU requires and there needs to be a version of BIOS for any new CPU available from the maker of the notebook.

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi phillpower2 thanks for the reply.

The make is Acer Aspire3 A315-51-376T series

Model number: N17Q1

Serial number: NXGNPEK01580418D097600

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Hello hatkins,

First off an apology, I previously misread your Speccy report and having checked it again can see that you do have the correct speed of RAM.

Thanks for the full computer details, they have allowed us to properly check any upgrade path, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but as was suspected the CPU is confirmed as being the ball grid array type as was suggested at the CPU link in my reply #3, BGA means that the processor is soldered into the MB and therefore not interchangeable by the end user.

The SSD at your link is appropriate and would give you faster boot times, it will not increase gaming or video quality though and it will need to be set up correctly.

What do you use the notebook for and do you intend clean installing Windows 10 and the system drivers, always the easiest way to do this imho.

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi thats bad news about the cpu. I use the laptop for browsing the internet and a bit of gaming the later being the reason i wanted to upgrade it. Will adding a ssd not speed up gaming at all?

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Games stored on the SSD will load quicker but the lack of any dedicated GPU and the RAM running at 2133MHz will not make for great gaming and especially anything that you may play online.

Sorry that it is not better news but you are welcome in any event.

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I might add a ssd to this lap top and buy a new laptop to replace this one. Can you recommend a place to buy a laptop from my main need from a laptop is that it has an ethernet port as my wireless is broken and i prefer ethernet as i get better speeds.

Thank you.

Is this laptop any good https://www.pcspecia.../elimina-iv-17/

Edited by hatkins, 02 August 2023 - 08:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

Way more than you need to pay, better and less expensive one here

If i were to purchase one for myself I would add another 8GB of RAM and use a USB storage device

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

That laptop gets bad reviews for the battery's not working 40% bad so ill avoid it i think shame i thought id buy it till i read the reviews. Thank you for searching for me though. I will search amazon and see what i come up with and for the moment i will upgrade to a ssd in my old laptop.

Thank you very much for your help its most appreciated.

Edited by hatkins, 02 August 2023 - 09:31 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
✓  Best Answer

Shame about the battery which I did not check btw as gaming laptops have to be permanently connected to the mains because the batteries are not good enough to power the dedicated GPU without the Windows Power Plan being set to High Performance and that uses up the battery in no time.

One I was originally going to suggest is the HP here

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

That one looks better on the reviews lol I think ill get it. Thank you for finding it for me. It just needs a bigger ssd in it and ill be away.

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

I would keep the same size SSD as it has and when you swap out the HDD for an SSD in the present notebook use the HDD in a powered USB enclosure, some examples here

The powered type are better as they are more efficient and enclosures better for the long term as they are neater and less prone to getting dust inside.

hatkins

hatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you for the advice

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts

You are welcome  :)