Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem opening Excel files

• Please log in to reply

PaulC78

PaulC78

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi,

Since about a week ago I've had problems opening Excel files on my work computer. However I try to open a file, whether from File Explorer, taskbar, start menu, desktop shortcut etc., Excel will open but no file is displayed, everything is greyed out. The only way I can access a file is to open Excel first and do it that way, which is fine but a bit of a pain. Word and PowerPoint are working ok so the problem seems to be specific to Excel. I'm not aware of any recent updates that may have been the cause.

Am using Office Home & Business 2013 on Windows 10, since it's a work computer I don't have admin privileges so that may limit what I can do. Our IT guy wasn't able to help but maybe someone here can?

Thanks. 

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Hi,

It sounds like an association issue. Do a right click on the excel file and you should see a spot that says "open with". Click that and you should see "excel". There might also be a spot that has you click on "always use".

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Tried right click and "open with" as you suggested, default option was something called "appvlp" and Excel was not there as an option. Checked Word and PP and these also default to appvlp, but as I said these are both working fine.

I then tried "look for another app on this PC", this turned up two apps in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15

One is called "excel", the other is "excelcnv".

If I try to open a file with the first, I get the following message: "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

Trying to open a file with excelcnv doesn't do anything.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Scroll down to the 3rd post here

Excel Desktop shortcuts do not work (google.com)

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks.

That forum post is quite old, my version of Excel doesn't appear to have a "Tools" menu.

Under File > Options > Advanced there is "Ignore other applications that use DDE" which is already unchecked.

Attempting to re-register Excel as instructed brings up this same message as my earlier post: "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Looks recent

happy reading - different fixes here

https://learn.micros...presently-confi

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

That looks like my problem!

The RegKey fix posted by Oliver Pola looks promising, though it looks like I'll need an admin to try it.

If it's a botched MS update then hopefully a proper fix will be forthcoming?

Thanks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts

Please post if that works for you.