Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidentally short one of the CPUs, will the mainboard survive?

short PCIe

• Please log in to reply

PiPi94464

PiPi94464

• Pip
  • 1 posts

One of the two CPUs on my brand-new Huananzi f8d plus mainboard was shorted from me accidentally put the PCIe 6 + 2 pin on it. Would the CPU (an Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4, not sure if this help) be broken or the mainboard itself broken from the short? It shows FF when I plug the power cord to the CPU 2 slot (the one that accidentally got shorted). I want to know since I still got a bunch of CPUs to replace, but the mainboard is pretty costly. 

The first CPU slot was working just fine, with the working CPU (another Xeon E5-2650 v4) showing AA and running as normal. The other CPU that was shorted however just short itself on whichever system it was placed on (I tried with a few more mainboards and the CPU's dead, but with other good CPUs and they're working just fine). I throw out both 2650s after this since I'm planning an upgrade to 2680 anyway.

Some other tests I manage to conduct to try out different scenarios:
- When I put in a brand-new Xeon E5-2680 v4 known to work on the board in slot 1 (only this one, not include the below), the mainboard boot to life and working fine.

- When I try adding another working E5-2680 v4 on the second slot (the one that got shorted) the board just said FF, which mean problem with the main or the CPU, but since I only got one CPU power cord available, it may also be insufficient power, which mean the mainboard still recognize the second CPU?

With no visual sign of damage on both sides and more tests just conclude only the shorted CPU is toasted, I'm just worry if the mainboard has any damage from the short itself. During the short the mainboard was quick to come up and down immediately, so idk if that help in anyway. I'm not an expert in motherboard, so any helps are really appreciated.

Edited by PiPi94464, 25 January 2024 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
but since I only got one CPU power cord available, 

Sorry but you are wasting your time with this until you have all the correct hardware.

This type of board is extremely power hungry + has no onboard video which means that an add on GPU is required and likewise so is a high end PSU that has two eight pin EPS connectors.

Can you post the brand and model name or number details for the RAM ( including the amount, number of sticks and speed ) add on video card and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable folk to better help you.