Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Crashes

• Please log in to reply

abrahams child

abrahams child

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

I recently purchased a new computer and out of the blue the monitor would go black and it would restart.  I have a wireless keyboard, mouse, and printer.  The external drive I use for storage is, I want to say "hard wired".  It would crash every so often but tonight it crashed three time within a couple hours.  How do I fix this issue?  Thank you for any help to resolve the problem.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
I recently purchased a new computer and out of the blue the monitor would go black and it would restart. 

First thing that you should do is open a support ticket with the merchant that sold you the computer, you are limited with your troubleshooting because of the need to protect your warranty.

The external drive I use for storage is, I want to say "hard wired". 

Because you have mentioned it I will ask, does the issue happen if the external drive is not connected to the computer at all.

Second thing that you need to do is to read the canned information below;

Sorry but you have post on a tech forum asking for help but have provided zero information about your computer or it`s hardware, this makes it impossible for anyone to even hazard a guess as to what is going on. 

Is the computer a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the CPU, MB, the RAM ( including the amount and speed ) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable folk to better help you. 

And;

Software such as Windows can crash and when it does crash you get a BSOD and when enabled a crash dmp is generated, programs or games when they crash can on occasion close to the desktop but the computer will still be 100% functional.

Hardware failure such as a weak power supply and/or overheating are not software related and when a computer for example suddenly turns off, freezes or the screen goes black etc  the behaviour should be described as the "computer shut down unexpectedly" or froze etc and not as having crashed as the latter implies a software issue as opposed to an obvious hardware issue when described properly.

Having the correct info means that helpers will not be looking for a software issue when the problem is clearly hardware related.

What you describe does not sound software related but more overheating and/or something being loose and either causing a short or losing connection.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

The system manufacturer is Asus Computer Inc.  The system model is ROG STIX 10E_G10CE and system type is x64 based.  The processor is 11th Gen Intel ® Core™ i5 - 11400F @ 2.60GHz 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s).  The external cd rom is made by LG which is a Slim Portable DVD Writer model AP70NS50.  The external storage drive is is Western Digital is My Passport Ultra.  The wireless keyboard and mouse are made by Logitech.

Edited by abrahams child, 26 March 2024 - 03:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
First thing that you should do is open a support ticket with the merchant that sold you the computer,

Have you done this.

Because you have mentioned it I will ask, does the issue happen if the external drive is not connected to the computer at all.

Can you also answer the above for us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

abrahams child,

You visited the forum but left no feedback, do you still need assistance or has the PC been sent in under warranty, an update would be appreciated.

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Best Buy was closed today.  I need to go into the store to ask questions.  As this coming Thursday is my one year anniversary.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Good luck and don`t forget, any warranty was factored into the price that you paid for the computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Were Best Buy any help abrahams child

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

No

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts

Sorry to hear that  :(

abrahams child

abrahams child

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

When you are cruising through posts in FB there are times that the picture in a post becomes unrecognizable but if you jerk the mouse from left to right it snaps out of it.  Hasn't shut down recently .