Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to set display properties in Win XP

• Please log in to reply

JamesSt

JamesSt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've had this missing display tab problem for months now!! I had been bouncing around different forums and web searches to solve my 'theme display only' problem with no solution...
Thanks to "Metallica" for putting the post up about replacing the comctl32.dll file with the larger one!!!
This worked great for me and FINALLY some peace of mind!! (and all my display tabs back!)

Just wanted to take a minute & the opportunity to thank everybody who has spent time helping with this problem!!

:whistling: :help: :blink: :rofl: :)

James

Advertisements

Schultza

Schultza

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First let me say Thanks Metallica... Your solution worked for me just fine.

Second let me post what happened...

A family member downloaded what looked like a credible Application called XP 2008 Antivirus below are the symptoms:

1st it automatically lauched a DEMO of a antivirus running on the system... obviously it stated it found over 3000 virus'
2nd it put an icon on the task bar which continuously ran in the background popping up a message every 30 seconds stating you had over 3000 virus'
3rd it put a bitmap image somewhere on the computer which it replaced your background Stating your computer is infected and immediate actions are required
4th it set your screensaver to kickoff every minute with a fake 'Blue screen of Death' Microsoft critical error screen
And finally to really get you they change your display property functionality.

This install looks real will even drop the XP 2008 Antivirus Program in your all programs menu. Don't waste your time with the Unistall program it does not work.

Corrective Actions:
1. Open Windows Task Manager and select the bogus .exe files under the User Name 'login' they will stick out they are about 15 - 20 characters long mixed alphanumeric characters (sorry did not log the true names)
once that is done then the icon on the task bar will go away and will no longer lock down the files from deletion.
2. under C:/Programfiles/rfc.... (again sorry did not note the folder name) but again it will stick out long and no meaning - to be sure your in the right area open it it will have the fake unistall file in it. DELETE the entire folder.
2a. Remeber if you don't kill the background process in step 1 the files will be locked and therefore undeletable.
3. Follow Metallica's direction to get back your tabs on the display properties
4. you will see the .bmp file there that was pushed with the malware do a find for the file name mine was found in c:\Documents and Settings\login\recent - DELETE it
5. choose your new Background
6. Go to your screen savor again you will find the bogus file (this name I have) blphc1o2j0e10p. -all the file and folder names are similar. Again do a search and for blphc1o2j0e10p.* find and DELETE, then reset your screensaver. the file was found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\
7. Also found this file BLPHC1O2J0E10P.SCR-1048B2FE.pf in C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\ DELETE it as well

That should do it ... I only hope this helps someone in return for the help I received

Thanks Again

Edited by Schultza, 24 June 2008 - 06:30 AM.

sblackb780

sblackb780

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a similar problem but I do have the display tabs it just when I click on the tab the whole window closes on me. Do you think the same process will fix my problem. I can click the drop down on my themes however when I click a different theme the window closes. The problem only affects the themes and display. I am able to change the screensaver, appearance and settings. :)

djgiofu

djgiofu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this problem.
I do have WindowsShell.MANIFEST file present. Also, about 12 of the new, large comctl32.dll in WINDOWS\Winsxs\... I'm not sure how to attach the search results that show the file names and paths.
1 of the smaller comctl32.dll in WINDOWS\system32 is also present.
I would like specific instruction on how to do the things discussed in this thread.
At posts 12 & 21, I suppose I can run regedit and remove the italicized items described: do I delete the values after the =, or the whole line?
at post 53: How do I copy and recreate a new .manifest file?
If this is the final solution: If I copy a large comctl32.dll to replace the smaller one, which of the 12 do I use?
sincerly,
djgiofu