Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition question

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've installed lilnux on a few machines so far and am very comfortable with the process except for the fact that 1.) all of the drives so far that i have used were school drives so if i screwed them up it didnt matter. 2.) i knew in advance that i was going to put linux on these drives so when installing Windows for the dual boot config. i left space unpartitioned on the drive so as to be able to put linux on there.

this is where the question arrises.

i have a dell inspiron laptop (work laptop. being the system admin it would suck for this thing to get boogered up) with a 60 gig hard drive. there are 3 partitions on the drive that came from dell. one is the drive that holds the drivers one is a little small partition that i'm not sure about and the main partition. the main partition is 52.5 gigs.

i want to install linux on this contraption so that i can use it for some network troubleshooting. with the linux partition utility that runs when you boot from the cd, can i 1.) scavange some of the main partition to make a new one for the linux 2.) be sure that i dont completely screw my windows install?

Advertisements

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I think it would be easier to back up your Windows partition and then format the HDD ready to recieve both Windows and Linux.

intraaction

intraaction

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
QzXx is right

keep in touch

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i just defraged the windows partition about 80 times then let mandriva resize the partition...worked like a dream