Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi, I have been getting a Zone Alarm notice saying that Windows explorer is trying to access the internet. I allways deny it but I am getting kind of curious :tazz: as to "Why" windows explorer would need to get on the internet.

If anyone knows, please fill me in cause I am not sure if I am doing right by not letting it access the internet. Thanks Wendy

Advertisements

fbspazzy

fbspazzy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
have you run updated spyware/virus detectors recently?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yep, if you didn't tell it to access, some malicious program is doing it. I would work through the guide at the top of this forum "Do you suspect a malware infection..., click here". Do it.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes you definately need to, Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you aren't having any troubles connecting to the Internet just skip the first step which is winsock fixes. This guide will take approximately about an hour, just take your time and when you are done your machine will be clean. If the tools suggested don't completly clean your machine you will be asked to download a program called HiJack This. If you use the HiJack this program, be sure you post the log in the malware forum.

Be patient, the experts will get you fixed up and running properly in no time. :tazz:

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 02 July 2005 - 08:36 AM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi and Thanks for the replies. Yes fbspazzy, I have updated and ran my ad/spyware and AV programs. They have cleaned out a lot of ugly stuff over the past few months.

Hum? well austin_o, I have no earthly idea as to how to go about telling Windows Explorer to go find the internet, so I am incline to agree with you, something nasty is afoot!

Hi phybyr0ptyk, I have already started at the "click here" button, and I have pretty much followed all of the advice there, but I kind of hit a snag when I did it.

:tazz: Man! You got to watch that "CleanUp" thing, shoot it flushed away over a thousand files, and I wound up having to reboot and recover to an earlier date to be able to cruise the internet again. IE would load up but would not leave port, so to speak.

Oh I got a microsoft malware scan also, and it didn't find anything either. So thanks for the help, and I am off to the "click here" button again. Bye
♥ Wendy

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
The Clean Up utility is just an automated way of "flushing" cookies, temp internet files, and your history folder. At worst after using Clean Up IE should just take a bit longer to load some pages due to the sites cookies no longer consuming space on your machine. If you have a problem using IE after using Clean Up, Then you will definately need to go along in that guide and most definately post a HiJack This log in the malware forum. It almost sounds as if you have a Browser HiJack infection and when you run Clean Up it removes some of the malware but not all of it, I would suspect that when you revert back to what seems to be a good system configuration you are actually just reinstalling the infection completly. Please move on to the malware forum http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html
as an expert more well suited for this will help you throughly clean your machine. You still need to go completly through the guide though, as that is the first thing they will ask you there. Good Luck :tazz:

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 02 July 2005 - 10:50 PM.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

:tazz: Man! You got to watch that "CleanUp" thing, shoot it flushed away over a thousand files, and I wound up having to reboot and recover to an earlier date to be able to cruise the internet again. IE would load up but would not leave port, so to speak.

Eh? I downloaded CleanUp! about two, three weeks ago as a recommendation from that page, and I've never had problems like that before. CleanUp! clears up temporary files from the system - nothing more. Unless you set the program's options to be something else other than the default Standard CleanUp, that is. ;)

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yeah, what that says ­up there.­

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hey guys, I'm as serious as a heart attack!, I downloaded that little bugger and didn't fiddle with any of it's settinge, I just ran it.

It made a heck of a flushing sound too, and about a bizillion little files all went zip, zip, zip down the drain. I actually had to do a restore to get IE to take me anywhere after that.

Shoot, I am still willing to do it over just to here it flush, but I don't know if I will be able to get restored again or not.

I ran all of the ad/spyware things in safe mode and got rid of lots of stuff that they had missed in regular windows, but something is still hanging on. Bye Wendy