Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paging file is gone; correspondng error at startup

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, from what I have read, this temp page file is overiding your paging file settings. Unfortunately, you will not be able to delete this file through normal means.

You must somehow delete this file so windows doesn't use it.

There is a program called BartPE. This program is run off of a CDrom that you create/burn. It will allow you to access files on your root drive, thus, you will be able to find and delete the temppf.sys file.

The BartPE program is located here: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Please read the documentation on the website and give it a go. This is the best I can offer in view of the information I have found on the web.

good luck,
makai

PS... please post back if this works for you. It may help someone else in the future.

Advertisements

alanmeades

alanmeades

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I've been reading your posts with some interest, I work at a University in the UK, we've just upgraded a 2k music file store PC to XP. This resulted in exactly the same issues that you've listed.

We were just about to try out BartPE when we stumbled upon another microsoft knowledge base:
Article ID: 316528

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;316528

I'm not sure whether you've seen it but it fixed our problem - an issue with certain Intel chipsets - Intel D845WN and Intel 815 graphics chipset.

I'm not sure whether it'll help you, but it worked for us.

good luck,
alan

dosboot

dosboot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
@ makai: I don't think I'm going to pursue this BartPE thing. I don't have a cd burner handy and I'm not exactly sure why I would need that program to delete this file. I think I've tried deleting it before normally but it just came back when I rebooted.

@ alanmeades: I noticed that article as well and even pursued before but it didn't help. I do have one of the specificed intel chipsets but I don't think it is the problem. The article says intel chipsets can cause a problem when you upgrade to xp, but my problem occured spontaneously and not when I upgraded to xp (which never happened anyways, this computer came with xp installed). I tried installing intel application accelerator anyways but I still couldn't set a paging file.

Also, the intel application accelerator program causes some problems on my computer: it seems to cause some random file to be "corrupted". When that file is accessed (usually when I run antivirus, or if I stumble upon it) I get a blue screen of death. If I delete that file (which has to be done through dos to avoid a crash) some other random file will be "corrupted" instead. Uninstalling intel application accelerator will cause the file to be fine though. Kinda weird I know, but I don't think it is related.

Edited by dosboot, 12 July 2005 - 03:24 PM.

Tmon

Tmon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this exact same problem. I have been working on this for three days and I am out of ideas. If you figure it out let me know.

maXXoo

maXXoo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much alanmeades !!! ;)

This issue is now solved for my pc... I have downloaded and then installed the Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) for Windows XP... then reboot and now I able to have a pagefile on my system !!!

GREAT ! I have spent 5 days on that pb. :tazz:

XXX from France ;)

Macula

Macula

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HELP!! I've got the same problem. However just a couple differences than DOSBOOTs. I have no paging file (either HD) and no temp PF. I have 1GB of RAM.

I've tried the Regedit as well as the intel fix Nothing. I've tried making my pf on my second hd and zeroing out my c: Nothing.

Any help??

fred5000

fred5000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, here goes. I have been having the same problem as several people on this forum and have tried about a million things to try and fix the problem, but still Windows just will not create a proper pagefile.

Things i have tried:

The basic stuff like changing to custom, rebooting with it not on, and deleting the temporary pagefile (which seems to have disappeared)
Installing new Intel Codecs
Installing Intel Application Accelerator (drivers will not install so I am at a loss with this)
Editing Registry (the registry seems to think differently to Windows as far as pagefile.sys is concerned lol)

Things you need to know:
This all happened after I installed a new graphics card
I can't seem to locate the temporary paging file anymore
I believe it has something to do with conflicting drivers but have no idea how to troubleshoot such a problem.

Please someone help me my computer is going the speed of a snail and I cant do anything for very long without a huge memory error coming up. So please help!!!!

Thanks.

dosboot

dosboot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I can't believe it but I finally found a solution which fixed it for me, and only after what...4 years and countless googling and tech support requests? I'll quote the poster at the cnet boards who gave me his solution:

"
I've just made a little modification to the registry assigning a new name to the Pagingfile : c:/pagefile2.sys for example. In the same time I have set clearPageatshutdown to 1.
This can be done in the registry editor at this adress (regedt32.exe at command prompt) : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
"

The key is setting the clearpagefile to 1, I can't believe I missed that in the various times I tried to use the registry to fix this problem.

Syron

Syron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just picked up a clients computer with this issue. The fix you mentioned makes it look all peachy, yet the computer is still going slow as mud. It shows in the virtual memory thing that 753mb's is allocated(per system managed size), but in task manager, it shows usage at 224mb, and it never gets any higher than 250. Any ideas?

Edited by Syron, 12 April 2006 - 01:35 AM.

kdawg38024

kdawg38024

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having this problem also for the past few days. I wiped my partition as part of my regular maintenance and re-installed XP and upgraded to SP2 and so on.

My chipsets are not Intel
I've tried the "reset to 0" and then reboot and try again trick.
I've set the ClearPageFileAtShutdown key to 1 (this worked the first time, but afterwards the behavior returned.)
I tried renaming pagefile.sys to pagefile2.sys in the PagingFiles key (my correct min and max size levels have always been listed in this key)

None of these have been a long-term fix for me.

I'm about to get out the sledgehammer.

Advertisements

YamiK

YamiK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to thank you so much for your perseverance with this problem. It has helped me tremendously!
I was having the exact same problem every time I started my computer no matter how many times I changed it.
It just came out of the blue. I did exactly as you did and now the errors gone!
No one else was able to solve my problem but you! Thanks! ^-^

YamiK

YamiK

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've set the ClearPageFileAtShutdown key to 1 (this worked the first time, but afterwards the behavior returned.)
I tried renaming pagefile.sys to pagefile2.sys in the PagingFiles key (my correct min and max size levels have always been listed in this key)

None of these have been a long-term fix for me.

I'm about to get out the sledgehammer.

Did you rename both of them "Existing Pagefiles" and "Pagefiles" and set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 1 at the same time?
That's how it worked for me. I set it to 1 and didn't change the name the first time and it didn't work.
The 2nd time I changed both and set it to 1 and the error was gone.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
I had the same experiences as mentioned above on an older xp machine, and next to the REGISTRY fixes above, I noticed the fragmentation of the HDD was so severe, no single area was large enough to create a unfragmented pagefile.sys.

I re-ran the registry fixes, defragmented the HDD and then rebooted, it works fine ever since...
I'm sure it's not the magical solution for most of you, but it just might help...

Good luck allPosted Image

EDIT: Note: within regedit, you can press Ctrl + F or use "search" for pagefile.sys or the temppf.sys so you can make sure Windows does not creates any funny stuff on next boot instance. Press F3 to search the next entry.

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 03 August 2011 - 11:23 AM.