Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Royal

Royal

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well I said in the past that I have been remaking this pc, everything is pretty much done, I only need a cpu and a cpu fan/heatsink. Currently, I have the Intel Celeron 2.6ghz, I know anything is better than a celeron. At the moment, Im looking at a 200 Dollar budget, and I need a socket 478. Heatsink/fan a $50 budget. Can anyone reccomend a good Scoket 478 cpu, and fan/heatsink?

Edit: Forgot, reccomend a cool(as in cold) yet stylish case under $50

Also what pentium 4 Proccessor can I compare my celeron to? For example (not correct) A Intel celeron 3.0ghz is simular to a Pentium 4 2.3ghz

Edited by Royal, 11 July 2005 - 12:25 PM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Im not much of a intel person but http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116171

comes with HSF

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi royal, could you list the make/model of your motherboard for us? I would like to double check what it can support cpu-wise, etc.
I am looking to see if it might be limited in terms of FSB speed, and what cpu's it can support.

the main difference between celeron and pentium chips is the multimedia instruction set. celeron lacks full multimedia support. it was basically designed to be a cheap chip for businesses to load into workstation PC's, ones that do things like word processing and spreadsheets, but dont need a lot of power for audio or graphics.
celeron can still do those things, but it will be very slow about it.

the cpu that onecool listed would be a good chip. again, I would like to check your mobo compatibility, in case that limits anything. no need to buy a 800Mhz FSB chip if your mobo only supports a 533 FSB, etc.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Onecool- Thanks
audioboy -http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128285
That's the motherboard for you.

Edited by Royal, 13 July 2005 - 10:24 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the newegg link is failing on their end. can you list the make/model # for me? want to look straight at manufacturers site for specs.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
GIGABYTE GA-8S648FXP-RZ Socket 478 SIS 648FX ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: GA-8S648FXP-RZ
Item #: N82E16813128285

Well Accually I am having a hard decision on which mobo to get. I have some canidates, I know nothing of the companies history of there products and quality. I want one capable of overclocking.

Which would you reccomend (calling out to anyone)?

There are a variety of companies offer what I want. (overclocking, agp8x)
Here is the page begining with Gigabyte and ending with MSI are the canidates.
Which one with agp8x and capable of overclocking is *better* than the others?
From the Gigabyte thats 50$ to the Gigabyte thats on the second page
From this link http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property Then on to page 2
First build.

Edited by Royal, 14 July 2005 - 12:35 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I thought you were wanting a cpu, if you are getting a mobo why dont you get a newer socket so its easier to upgrade.

Royal

Royal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Can't afford a new cpu. If I do buy a newer socket, I would have to buy a newer decent cpu. Which I do not want to do.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If i were you i would make do until i had the money for the better cpu, patience is a virtue when it comes to building a pc.