Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Internet Cleaners

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi I use this software called Free Internet Eraser.

Is it a bad thing to wipe the following:

Windows Find Computer History

Windows Find Files/Folders History

Windows Open/Save History

Windows Clipboard

Windows Temporary Files Directory

Windows Scandisk File Fragments (*.CHK)

Internet Explorer Cache

Internet Explorer Browser History

Internet Explorer Location Bar/Visited URLs

Cause that is what the internet cleaner cleans and Im just making sure that im not going to cause my computer or hard drive problems.

I have had NO problems at the moment and all my software works and internet explorere as well.

Oh and what are MRU's and what do that do? and is it suggested to clear them?

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I am just making sure that im not gonna have problems in the future

yanowhiz

yanowhiz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
These are good to erase on a daily to weekly basis. It is safe to remove these.
Internet Explorer Cache

Windows Find Computer History. -A file is stored on your computer letting people know what you searched for. This file will be ereased. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Find Files/Folders History Same thing however, this is good to erase becuase it will increase the speed of visiting various folders. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Open/Save History Another file stored on your computer that let's your computer remember what programs you opened and closed. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Clipboard Basicaly everything you copy and paste is stored on your computer. Well if the clipboard (where its stored at) gets too large it'll slow down your computer. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Temporary Files Directory When windows extracts stuff automatically usually its extracted to here. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Scandisk File Fragments (*.CHK) Usually this is on 95/98/Me. Anywho when you run scandisk and it finds errors and if it doesn't convert it to free space it converts them to files. Usually this can take up a lot of room. It is safe to remove this.

I'd recomend another free cleaning program.

CCleaner.

Edited by yanowhiz, 14 July 2005 - 01:16 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Cool thank you, Im downloading it now

yanowhiz

yanowhiz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Your welcome. Anytime. I'll be here all summer. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
MRU stands for "most recently used". While it won't hurt to remove the above listed items, it is also not necessary. In some cases, leaving them alone will help your comp keep things speedy. As new files are added, old ones are overwritten. You can decrease the size of these caches without deleting them completely. I keep weeks of IE History, but lower IE's temp file size to about 30Mb, for example. If you have privacy concerns, that is another matter. You should not depend on any software to completely eliminate "traces" of your habits- the only sure way to be sure your hard drive does not "rat you out" is to pull it and smash it with a hammer or incinerate it. Then the FBI has to go to your ISP for confirmation of their suspicions. ;-)

Johanna

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
You Could be better off by going to this > http://www.microsoft...clearcache.mspx

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

MRU stands for "most recently used".  While it won't hurt to remove the above listed items, it is also not necessary.  In some cases, leaving them alone will help your comp keep things speedy.  As new files are added, old ones are overwritten.  You can decrease the size of these caches without deleting them completely.  I keep weeks of IE History, but lower IE's temp file size to about 30Mb, for example.  If you have privacy concerns, that is another matter.  You should not depend on any software to completely eliminate "traces" of your habits- the only sure way to be sure your hard drive does not "rat you out" is to pull it and smash it with a hammer or incinerate it.  Then the FBI has to go to your ISP for confirmation of their suspicions.  ;-)

Johanna

View Post

I am not doing anything against the law or anything like that, I just wanted to know about it that is all.

How can your incinerate deleted files???? :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

These are good to erase on a daily to weekly basis. It is safe to remove these.
Internet Explorer Cache

Windows Find Computer History. -A file is stored on your computer letting people know what you searched for. This file will be ereased. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Find Files/Folders History Same thing however, this is good to erase becuase it will increase the speed of visiting various folders. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Open/Save History Another file stored on your computer that let's your computer remember what programs you opened and closed. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Clipboard Basicaly everything you copy and paste is stored on your computer. Well if the clipboard (where its stored at) gets too large it'll slow down your computer. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Temporary Files Directory When windows extracts stuff automatically usually its extracted to here. It is safe to remove this.

Windows Scandisk File Fragments (*.CHK) Usually this is on 95/98/Me. Anywho when you run scandisk and it finds errors and if it doesn't convert it to free space it converts them to files. Usually this can take up a lot of room. It is safe to remove this.

I'd recomend another free cleaning program.

CCleaner.

View Post

Thank you for the software recommendation. It works really well on my computer and Im not worried about it any more.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Good grief, Tony 1983- I did not mean to imply that you were doing anything illegal!

I should have been more clear in my remarks. The Windows files that these programs "clean up" are not necessarily bad. Some, whether they fetch requested data faster or offer you a quick choice on a menu, are actually quite convenient. I use "auto complete", for example. I type a letter or two, and Windows figures out what I might want to do and lets me choose. Temp internet files can actually speed surfing. Some cookies save me the aggravation of "logging in", like on this site. Clearing all the above files will not necessarily improve the performance of your computer. Maybe back in the old days of small harddrives and slow processors, clearing these files had advantages. Today's modern computer can handle the clutter.

There are some situations that a person might want/need to erase tracks. I'm thinking of the business person plugging into a hotel network, an employee with a boss bent on vengeance, a teenager who wants privacy from siblings who share the computer, and so on. You can use ccleaner or any other software, including Windows itself to "hide" or delete your files, but if a tech like me wants to see them, they are still there. Any files you delete are there until you overwrite them, sometimes up to seven times, I'm told. My point with the hammer was that there is no way to "be sure" they are gone without physically destroying the drive. Casual clean up doesn't need to be as extreme as that list, on today's computers, and may, in fact, have a counter productive performance effect. Every clean up on that list, by the way, can be performed within XP by the user.

What my point is (did you think I would ever get there?) is that what you should do, or need to do, depends on how YOU use your computer. For most of us, that kind of extreme clean up is not needed, and could be a nuisance.

Here is an example: When I log off from my bank account, the website gives me a stern warning to clear my brower's cache to protect my privacy. First of all, no one uses my computer but me. Second, I have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" ticked, so there is nothing to delete regarding my account anyway. If I cleared my browser, it would make the pages load more slowly on the sites I regularly visit, the next time. So, knowing that I am not risking anything (no one cares about my $38.56!) I ignore the warning and move on.

In your very first post you said that everything was working fine and that you had no problems. Why create some? Unless you (or whoever is reading this) has special privacy concerns, here are some good tips:

Internet Options>Tools> General> Settings
put that slider below 80 MB and don't worry about it.

If you want to delete individual URLs from the address bar, just highlight them and press delete. Once a month or so, clean out your temp files and any cookies you don't use. If auto complete is bugging you, shut it off. "History" is a matter of personal preference. I keep lots of mine because I often go back looking for what I know I was looking at. If you don't, set it to clear at browser close, or set it for just a few days.

For more privacy, set up a different user account for other people using the computer, and make sure you aren't "sharing" files you don't want to. Set Windows folders to hidden, and that will keep less experienced people out of there.

Hope this helps clarify things some.
Johanna

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Lol, Johnanna I know that you where not implying that i was doing illegal things, I was just stating that I dont lol. its ok

yanowhiz

yanowhiz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Lol, Johnanna I know that you where not implying that i was doing illegal things, I was just stating that I dont lol.  its ok

View Post

That's not something you want to announce to the whole world. Right this second the government probably is having all there sattilites homing in on your location as they ping your IP address. :tazz: j/k

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Lol I ment to say that Im NOT doing illegal things lol, I have giving that up.

I have been clear from that for about less then a year now, and I wont be doing any illegal things on computers or anything at all any more cause I have a son and girlfriend to think about and my life is going really good so far so I would not wonna stuf that up lol.

yanowhiz

yanowhiz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Lol I ment to say that Im NOT doing illegal things lol, I have giving that up.

I have been clear from that for about less then a year now, and I wont be doing any illegal things on computers or anything at all any more cause I have a son and girlfriend to think about and my life is going really good so far so I would not wonna stuf that up lol.

View Post

Still you don't want to announce this to the world that you did illegal things at one time.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Still you don't want to announce this to the world that you did illegal things at one time.

View Post

Lol, leave me alone... I'll cry lol (jokes) ;) :tazz: ;) :help: