Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot search and destroy pop ups

• Please log in to reply

MommaJ

MommaJ

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
During my normal spybot scan yesterday, multiple pop ups were asking if I would allow changes to my registry...It was showing multiple changes to my registry. I did not allow any of the changes and it kept on asking me over and over for many different registry changes. When it finally finished, I updated all my adware, spyware, etc.. and did a full scan which didn't come up with anything. I went to log onto Mozilla, (I haven't been using IE for some time) it said Windows counldn't open the program....so I clicked on some of my other programs, same thing. Now my desk top icons are all white and none of them will work. I can't get my computer to do anything. Any suggestions? I'm using my husbands laptop right now. I'm running Windows XP, spybot s & d, spyware blaster, spyware guard, adaware plus and trend micro.
I'm not sure what to do since I can't get into anything on my computer to do a hijack this.
Thanks,
MJ

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
What was the exact error message when trying to open a program?

MommaJ

MommaJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The following message appears:

Windows can not open this file.
File: mozilla.ink; adaware.ink, etc....:

To open this file:
- Use the web service to find appropriate program
- Select program from list.

The above appears with every icon I try to open........dot ink is after every file.
I hit cancel, and try another one, same thing.

Thanks for any help.
MJ

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Welcome back MommaJ. Please download the latest version of Hijack This in my signature and post a log. Someone will be along to help you shortly. <_<

MommaJ

MommaJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
problem is, I can't get into my computer to do hijack this. I'm using my husbands laptop to access my email, etc..
None of my programs are accessible. The above message appears every time I try to open one of the icons.
Not sure what to do to be able to get into my computer.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
In order to detect whether you are infected by HackDefender, please download this utility: http://bagpuss.swan....torv0[1].62.zip

MommaJ

MommaJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't think I'm communicating my problem very well. I can not access my computer at all. So, I'm not sure how I can download your suggestion.
Is there a way to go into safe mode? I'm not sure how to do this.
Before everything froze up, I ran all my scans and it returned nothing found.
Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion,
MJ