Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NDIS - Windows Protection Error

• Please log in to reply

DipPra

DipPra

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I have just installed windows 98 on my PC and I get the following error on start up:

NDIS - Windows Protection Error

Does anyone have a fix for this?

I would really appreciate any help...

Thank you

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
This error can be caused by having a processor faster than 2.1Ghz . It only affects Windows 95 and the first release of Windows 98 (98 SE is not affected). There is a fix for Win98 apparently, but you have to contact MS support to get it. Read this: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;312108
If indeed your PC does have a processor faster than 1.1Ghz, it begs the question as to why you running 98 on it instead of XP which would remove that problem and also give you a much more stable system which will continue to receive microsoft support and updates for several years, unlike Win 98 whose support is due to end next year.

DipPra

DipPra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much for your quick response.

I have already called microsoft and the charge for this fix is £40!!!

I was just wondering if anyone already has the fix an if I could use it.

Thanks

anachron

anachron

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Did you get the file you needed? I, too, am looking for the hotfix to resolve the NDIS protection error due to processor speed > 2.1 GHz. If you have this file, please post it here. It seems silly that Microsoft won't make this patch generally available. I believe the hotfix comes as an executable that has in it a file called 312108USA.EXE. That's what is needed here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something that you may be able to do is just underclock your processor to below 2ghz. With win98 it should still be plenty fast.