Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdisk on boot

• Please log in to reply

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Does chkdsk scan all the drives, or only one drive?
Follow these steps:
(Note: I have used a variable x, which is the drive letter(s) for which chkdsk performs scan on boot)

1) Open cmd.
2) Type fsutil dirty query x:. Press Enter
3) If it says "Volume X: is dirty", run a manual chkdsk x: /f scan at that instant.

Reboot after u have followed the above steps for all x:

View Post

Hi, I appear to have a slightly different problem than this? I'm using onboard SATA controller on a Gigabyte board and I stripped two 80GB 7200RPM drives together on it. (RAID) This is a new/fresh install of XPP SP2 with all patches. One huge NTFS partition. The problem is that chkdsk runs on EVERY boot. It only takes a second because it doesn't find any problems. But I checked the dirty bit and it isn't set and I tried the suggestion quoted above with no change. I'm a little stumped... I've defragmented it a couple times too both online and offline defrags. Less than 1% fragmentation. and 120GB free. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Invartact

Invartact

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
when you did the fsutil dirty query x: did you replace the x with the drive letter i.e. fsutil dirty query C: ? Sorry if this doesnt work but its al i know to tell you.
~Invartact~

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

when you did the fsutil dirty query x: did you replace the x with the drive letter i.e. fsutil dirty query C: ? Sorry if this doesnt work but its al i know to tell you.
~Invartact~

View Post

Yes, I did.

Invartact

Invartact

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
sorry i was of no help
~Invartact~

Guest_anynamewilldo_*

Guest_anynamewilldo_*
After doing some more bumbling around like an idiot I have to admit it was my fault. I had hastily added /SOS to my boot.ini without the /NOGUIBOOT parameter. This resulted in me seeing something I hadn't seen before which I now am guessing is part of the normal bootup process. It shows you the old screen you used to see in NT4 with the amount of RAM and CPU then flashes "checkdisk completed" or something like that and then drops you immediately into the logon screen (only because this system is extremely fast and I've tweaked it to the gills). I make this change to all my OSes but I guess I'm an inconsistent human being wahahan. Anyway, sorry for the trouble.

Invartact

Invartact

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i know the feeling!!!
~Invartact~