Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmd.exe error (0xc0000142)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

xinamc

xinamc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I tried to run "cmd" or "command" under Start >> Run, I received the following error.

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Right now, i can browse the internet normally though I couldn't before.
I also had uninstalled my Norton Anti-virus software thinking that it might solve the problem
I also used "Spybot Search And Destroy (www.spybot.info) and Ad-aware (www.lavasoft.de)" thinking that it would solve the problem.

Unfortunately, I still have the same error in my system and when I run Hijact This, i got the following log:

Can anybody help me? I don't know if the error I'm receiving has any relation with a malware.
Anyway, I didn't do anything else with my PC than install printer drivers and some multimedia software;

Please help:

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   5.76KB   2108 downloads

Regards,
Xinamc

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hello Xinamc, welcome to Geeks to Go! Is that your real name? If so you're an immediate staff member. <_<

I suspect this entry is the problem:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RegServer] regserve.exe

You don't seem to have any antivirus software installed. We recommend the free version of AVG found here: http://www.grisoft.c...s_dwnl_free.php

Download, install, and run a full scan of your system, repairing any errors found.

When finished post a new log for review. :D

xinamc

xinamc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
[COLOR=blue]Thank you very much admin!

I just delete
using hijack this.

With regards to anti-virus s/w, you were right that I don't have it installed. The reason was that I uninstalled it together with spybot and adware.
Currently, as you mentioned it, I reinstalled it again.

Unfortunately, I still have the same error when attempting to run the "command prompt".

cmd.exe
"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

Meanwhile, here is the new log from hijack [COLOR=blue]

Attached File  HiJackThis_log.txt   6.36KB   1956 downloads

quote=admin,Nov 2 2004, 03:58 PM]
Hello Xinamc, welcome to Geeks to Go! Is that your real name? If so you're an immediate staff member. <_<

I suspect this entry is the problem:

You don't seem to have any antivirus software installed. We recommend the free version of AVG found here: http://www.grisoft.c...s_dwnl_free.php

Download, install, and run a full scan of your system, repairing any errors found.

When finished post a new log for review. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

paopao

paopao

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a laptop, and had the same issue. Luckly, I found out cmd.exe ran ok
if I use docking station. ;)
So, I just delete my 'undocking' profile. and restart.
Then, reset the display. Problem solved!!! :tazz:

WildMan279

WildMan279

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I seem to be 3 years too late, but anyone that comes back to this thread might want to look at http://www.tomshardw...erly-0xc0000142
if you are having a similar problem, that might be the fix