Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BLACK "WARNING YOUR COMPUTER MAY..... [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try this for a start

To repair Internet Explorer on Windows 98, ME and 2000:

Go to Start > Run > copy and paste this in > OK > and choose repair IE

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

...or go to your control panels add/remove programs and double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools > choose Repair IE.

Trevuren

Advertisements

firefiter

firefiter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks!!!! I will try this shortly and report back!!!!!

firefiter

firefiter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Trevuren:

Tried the command with no success.

I got to the to the add/remove window but it was not populated.

Also when I open the control panel, the window came up in a split-type screen.

:tazz:

Thanks for all your help and sorry this is so complicated.

firefiter

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I do not have the knowledge to help with this unfortunately. The only answer I had left was reformat/reinstall which I don't want to recommend wothout you having a chance to talk to the technical side of our forum.

I have referred your case to the technical forum who should be contacting you within a couple of days.

Please keep me informed of your progress.

Trevuren

firefiter

firefiter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Trevuren:

Thanks for your help in this matter. I appreciate everything mthat you tried to do to help. I did make some progress through this matter and learned of some great tools. Before you go could you tell me if there is anyway I could have infected another 2000 system by plugging in my jumpdrive which has been in the problem system (I have also used it in XP systems but none of them have any problems). I have run norton antivirus on the jump drive and it says that it is not infected with anything. The other system is showing some of the same problems (after i got rid of the black screen on the problem computer) ie can't do click and drag, no populated add/remove programs, etc. Just wondering...I am in the progress of running norton on that drive. If you have any insight, please share them with me. If not I thank you for your help again.

firefiter

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
You may have infected the other Win 2K system because they have similar vulnerabilities.

It may also have something to do with how you cleaned the systems. You can do certain things with XP and get away with it but do that with 2k and you may be in trouble.

Food for thought.

Note: Eventhough even our site promote the DIY method, you are always running a big chance if you are not formally trained to do this work.

God luck with the techs, please keep me informed.

I will close the thread. If the techs want it reopened, ask them to contact me.

Trevuren

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"Also when I open the control panel, the window came up in a split-type screen." is there any way you could do a print screen of this? also could you get a screen shot of your event log (all tabs)

firefiter

firefiter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I finally got disgusted and did a win 2000 overwrite. I did not lose any of my files and many of my programs still functioned (really cool). I thank everyone for their help. I guess i will close this thread.

Thanks again

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I am happy that you problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements